You can type here any text you want

HELP!!! I want 17"s (American Racing). What does offset mean??? HELP!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ecarringt22

Hello all,

I am about to order some American Racing wheels for my 87' GN. The suspension is stock. I want to make sure I don't run into any rubbing of the wheels and tires. Are these the sizes that I am to get??? What the HELL does -11mm and +8mm offset mean and what size tire to get. Thanks in advance.:confused:

Size:17x8
Finish: Polished
Backspacing: =BS
Lug patterns:
5x4 3/4 -11mm offset 4" BS
5x4 3/4 +8mm offset 4 3/4" BS

if you have a 17x8 wheel, 0 offset with be a 4" BS

Not true.

I started writing an explanation, but it gets confusing without a picture or diagram to refer to. Here's a webpage to better explain it.

American Wheel and Tire - Houston Texas Custom Wheel and Tire Headquarters

You can see from the diagrams that an advertised 8" wide wheel is really a bit wider when used to make backspacing measurements. In reality, an advertised 8" wide wheel with 0 offset has a backspacing of about 4.5"

Okay, not true............... who cares about offset anyway. Order your Custom Build American Racing Wheels 17x8, 5 on 4 3/4 Bolt Pattern, with a 4" Backspacing, and you will have no problems! They should not ask you for offset. HTH

So should I get 4" backspacing on all 4 wheels??? Thanks for the input

4" backspacing on an 8" wide wheel should work for a TR. Actually, I prefer 3.5" backspacing on the rear and ~3.75" for the front just so the wheels don't look too "tucked in". Remember though that even though the rim may fit, the size of the tire (width wise) you can fit in the wheel well has to be taken into account. I don't know what size tires you plan on running on these rims, but with 4" of backspacing, you may not be able to go much bigger than 255s without rubbing on the inside.

Back