You can type here any text you want

Help ID Block?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

getchasum

MISSING 2 CYLINDERS???
I need some help ID’ing a stage block…..
I stop in a shop today inquiring about having a production block sonic checked when the owner and I got to talking about Buicks. He use to race Buicks and told me he still had some parts left. It was very hard to keep my poker face as he lead me to the unopened crate stage block, that he’s ready to get rid of. :D I did not see the castings on the block due to it being crated but the slip of paper he pulled out of the cam journal had casting #25500153 on it. The block was a 4 bolt main and appeared to have never been machined for the oil passages.

What is it?
On or Off center?
What’s worth?
Machining cost to prep?

plowboy72 said:
just give me his number and I'll take care of it! lol

its an on-center block

No need to bother him......are you wanting to trade your "T" for it. :D J/K...

Yes....just called my buddy at local GM Parts store, it's an on center 4.1. In a virgin unopen crate.

What's it worth?

The best oncenter ever..... $2500-$3500 is what I'd pay if i had the cash. I don't know about machining costs, depends on who you know i suppose. Maybe $500 up to a couple grand depending on what needs to be done. does the block have splayed caps?

Big Stu said:
The best oncenter ever..... $2500-$3500 is what I'd pay if i had the cash. I don't know about machining costs, depends on who you know i suppose. Maybe $500 up to a couple grand depending on what needs to be done. does the block have splayed caps?

I didn't see that was for a complete engine, I was giving pricing on just the block. A whole complete engine is worth more than that for sure. Nice find you lucky dog.... :D

Scott,

It's an On center stage II block. Most versions were dry sump although there is an early version without a crossbolted #1 main cap that has an oil pickup provision. There were 2 bore sizes available one will be around 3.96XX" and the other would be around 3.79XX". Either would be a nice part to work with. There should be a sonic sheet with the block. A new On center block would be worth $2500-$3k. Machine work will be at least $500.

Neal

getchasum said:
I need some help ID’ing a stage block…..
I stop in a shop today inquiring about having a production block sonic checked when the owner and I got to talking about Buicks. He use to race Buicks and told me he still had some parts left. It was very hard to keep my poker face as he lead me to the unopened crate stage block, that he’s ready to get rid of. :D I did not see the castings on the block due to it being crated but the slip of paper he pulled out of the cam journal had casting #25500153 on it. The block was a 4 bolt main and appeared to have never been machined for the oil passages.

What is it?
On or Off center?
What’s worth?
Machining cost to prep?

Big Stu said:

Yes it appeared to have splayed caps and no it not a complete engine, just the block.

750H.P.V6 said:
Scott,

It's an On center stage II block. Most versions were dry sump although there is an early version without a crossbolted #1 main cap that has an oil pickup provision. There were 2 bore sizes available one will be around 3.96XX" and the other would be around 3.79XX". Either would be a nice part to work with. There should be a sonic sheet with the block. A new On center block would be worth $2500-$3k. Machine work will be at least $500.

Neal

Neal, I'm not real sure which version, I did see that all main caps were 4 bolt mains. Does this mean it has a crossbolted #1 main cap or could it still have the provision for an oil pickup w/ a 4 bolt #1 main? I like to think it has the provision, cause I know there's no way I could or would ever use a dry sump engine. :frown:

The sonic sheet was what was rolled up and pull out of the block. I did get a copy made prior to leaving but it's hard to read.

Scott,

The version with the oil pickup provision was pretty uncommon. My guess is that it's a dry sump block. Depending on what kind of deal you can get on the block it's probably worth buying to sell for a few bucks profit if you decide not to use it.

Neal

getchasum said:
Neal, I'm not real sure which version, I did see that all main caps were 4 bolt mains. Does this mean it has a crossbolted #1 main cap or could it still have the provision for an oil pickup w/ a 4 bolt #1 main? I like to think it has the provision, cause I know there's no way I could or would ever use a dry sump engine. :frown:

The sonic sheet was what was rolled up and pull out of the block. I did get a copy made prior to leaving but it's hard to read.

Thanks for the help. I love to build a stealth stage II but in my current car I never build a dry sump engine, just to far from stock appearance. Then again we are shopping for a "Turbo T" :biggrin:

It can be converted to wet sump using an external oil feed line.

Scott,

Chris just posted a picture of an early On center block viewed from the bottom in another thread.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177440

Check out the block you found and see if it looks like the one in the picture.

Neal

getchasum said:

If anyone is interested in BUYING........

Well I finally got a price on the block. The guy is wanting $3500, to much $$$ for me to build one. I would be willing to do some legwork for someone if interested BUT I would want $100 finders fee for my troubles and driving plus you pay the shipping. If it's something anyone thinks they may be interested in we could talk it over on the phone. BUT I'll tell you straight up, I'm not giving up the blocks location, sorry. If anything I'll let the guy set on it until he comes off the price. It's been there since 1991 so I doubt it going anywhere anytime soon.

PM me if interested.
Scott Lambert
:smile:

Back