Help in Montana

ardun53

So this is not the way I wanted to start my first post on this board. I've been a member for over 10 years lurking, dreaming and searching for a Grand National. I come from a family of Buick lovers. Paternal Grandfather worked for Buick dealership in town for decades. First car my folks bought together was a 67 GS400 coupe in 1968. They traded it away in 1972 but replaced it in 1987 with a 1967 GS400 4-speed Convertible. (I purchased this one from my folks back in 2000). I joined V8buick.com in 2002 and soon was turned to this, the sister site, a shout out to Raven and his stories. For the last 11 years I've been looking for a GN to park in the garage next to my convert. this spring I found one in the local thrifty nickel. It was 4 hours away but in my price range and EXACTLY the type of car I had been searching for, 1987 GN, hardtop 60000ish original miles, G80, PW, PL, cruse control, and it was only 4 hours away. I sheepishly showed the ad to my wife, who proceeded to tell me to call and go get it. Long story short it was my dream car.
Fast forward to 8:30 this morning pulling into grab my Saturday coffee at the kiosk a *ch in a dodge truck pulls out and just taps in my quarter panel. I'm devastated. this car was completely original paint!! Three cops had to pull up to calm me down. the woman just kept saying it can be FIXED! no it can't it can be repaired but it will never be a clean Carfax no hit original paint car again.
So If you've read this far; my question to you and I'm looking for opinions. Do you,
Just Fix the quarter panel and live with bondo?
Require a replacement quarter panel (no longer original body parts)
Repaint the damage and match original as best as possible or repaint whole car?
What is your reaction? any ideas or thoughts?
Anyway. Thanks for so much advice and humor over the last decade and I look forward to becoming a useful member of this forum in the future.
Thanks
Jake Witham
Billings MT
1987 GN
1967 GS400 vert
1953 Ford Victoria
1994 Mustang GT 5.0 convert (don't be mad It's my wife's)
(and that is just the Fun stuff)

I feel your pain. I remember the first time my car was "bumped". I'm glad a couple of my level headed friends were with me. I was as "excited" as you described and it was only a scratch on the bumper.
It's only a car. But its also only original once.
If you know a good body man that can fix it I'd have it done and have the spot painted. Many will never know the difference. Then when the rest of the paint "goes down hill" I'd have the whole car done. Id keep as much original as possible.
Sorry you had to experience our societies total lack of respect for other peoples property.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Jake,
First off, I have to admit that Raven's stories were second to none. He inspired us into what was possible in drawing the the audience to the edge of there seats. We need to bump up some of the old stories for some of the new guys.

The fact that you came unglued when someone hit your car means that your very passionate about it. If you wouldn't have been very bummed out, it probably means that you don't deserve that nice of a car. I hate to even think of what I would have done. Keep the original steel. If you find a good body guy, there shouldn't be much Bondo.

Post a picture of your car when you get a chance. I expect to see a kill posted in the Kill Section in the next month.;)
Let us know if we can do anything for you and happy spooling.:)

Mike Barnard

Welcome aboard !!!
I feel your pain....
I contracted a lawn company to aerate my lawn...the operator hit my 43,xxx mile original paint car hard in the drivers rear quarter, then hit the drivers door not once but twice !!!
He left without saying a word!!!!!!!!!!!!! I made multiple calls to the cell phone that went unanswered, as did the messages. After a half hour I called the local PD. A super cool cop by the name of McDonnel showed up at my house...looked at the damage and shaking his head tells me " This is a civil matter, you will have to take him to court more than likely....but that doesn't mean I can't fuck with him....." He calls the same cell number that I had been calling, gets voice mail as I did and proceeds to leave the following message " This is officer McDonnel from the Ofallon PD, you have exactly 30 seconds to return my phone call or I am coming to get you !, my number is xxx-xxx-xxxx"
The phone rang very quickly, the officer told him he had a half hour to get back to my house or he was picking him up. The guy showed, had insurance, said he WAS going to come back but he was scared...LOL.

Good luck man

Bryan

So this is not the way I wanted to start my first post on this board. I've been a member for over 10 years lurking, dreaming and searching for a Grand National. I come from a family of Buick lovers. Paternal Grandfather worked for Buick dealership in town for decades. First car my folks bought together was a 67 GS400 coupe in 1968. They traded it away in 1972 but replaced it in 1987 with a 1967 GS400 4-speed Convertible. (I purchased this one from my folks back in 2000). I joined V8buick.com in 2002 and soon was turned to this, the sister site, a shout out to Raven and his stories. For the last 11 years I've been looking for a GN to park in the garage next to my convert. this spring I found one in the local thrifty nickel. It was 4 hours away but in my price range and EXACTLY the type of car I had been searching for, 1987 GN, hardtop 60000ish original miles, G80, PW, PL, cruse control, and it was only 4 hours away. I sheepishly showed the ad to my wife, who proceeded to tell me to call and go get it. Long story short it was my dream car.
Fast forward to 8:30 this morning pulling into grab my Saturday coffee at the kiosk a *ch in a dodge truck pulls out and just taps in my quarter panel. I'm devastated. this car was completely original paint!! Three cops had to pull up to calm me down. the woman just kept saying it can be FIXED! no it can't it can be repaired but it will never be a clean Carfax no hit original paint car again.
So If you've read this far; my question to you and I'm looking for opinions. Do you,
Just Fix the quarter panel and live with bondo?
Require a replacement quarter panel (no longer original body parts)
Repaint the damage and match original as best as possible or repaint whole car?
What is your reaction? any ideas or thoughts?
Anyway. Thanks for so much advice and humor over the last decade and I look forward to becoming a useful member of this forum in the future.
Thanks
Jake Witham
Billings MT
1987 GN
1967 GS400 vert
1953 Ford Victoria
1994 Mustang GT 5.0 convert (don't be mad It's my wife's)
(and that is just the Fun stuff)

Try freezing your a$$ in your shop in January in what is supposed to be a warm state
Running down to Lowe' to buy a 5 gallon can of Kerosene just to take the edge off.
Nice cool January evening - so hey - let 'er rip - right?
What could go wrong?
Yeah - the 5 gallon can of Kerosene in the trunk could go wrong and dent the crap out of my quarter.
I'm a moron.

It's a car.
If you drive it - things are going to happen.
Occasionally bad things.
I shrugged and bit the bullet and had it repaired.
A good body man would only use the slightest of fillers after blocking out.
Probably less than the factory used in some places.

It's hard to say without seeing pictures of the damaged quarter - but I'll wager body repair would be preferred over quarter replacement.
Especially if it is not into the deck lid drip area

CarFax - schmarfax.
That's for IF you sell it.
And who in their right mind ever sells one of these cars? :D

My WH1 has a salvage title since the other previous owner - drunk moron - bent the front frame horn doing donuts and wrecking.
Was more interested n getting money from the insurance company than just keeping quiet and fixing his moronic mistake.
I couldn't care less what the title or CarFax says.
The car doesn't know any better. I think it's actually happier on the new restored frame and bushings.
It's still a keeper. Cuz I don't sell. I only buy.
Let my kids deal with all the selling after I'm gone.

Welcome aboard !!!
I feel your pain....
I contracted a lawn company to aerate my lawn...the operator hit my 43,xxx mile original paint car hard in the drivers rear quarter, then hit the drivers door not once but twice !!!
He left without saying a word!!!!!!!!!!!!! I made multiple calls to the cell phone that went unanswered, as did the messages. After a half hour I called the local PD. A super cool cop by the name of McDonnel showed up at my house...looked at the damage and shaking his head tells me " This is a civil matter, you will have to take him to court more than likely....but that doesn't mean I can't fuck with him....." He calls the same cell number that I had been calling, gets voice mail as I did and proceeds to leave the following message " This is officer McDonnel from the Ofallon PD, you have exactly 30 seconds to return my phone call or I am coming to get you !, my number is xxx-xxx-xxxx"
The phone rang very quickly, the officer told him he had a half hour to get back to my house or he was picking him up. The guy showed, had insurance, said he WAS going to come back but he was scared...LOL.

Good luck man

Bryan

A good case to be made for mulching your whole front yard. :D