Help installing lower manifold

D

Darrens89Z

I pulled the lower because I wanted to paint the intake and really put new gaskts all around the engine since I cleaned it up,and painted it.But i need help with installing the intake.I have the vally pan gaskets.Do they go in dry?And I plan on using the rubber end seals but where do I exactly put the RTV in the corners?Any help and hints appreciated.My father is is a certified GM mechanic since 1979 and he did some intake back in the day in the 80s,and told me he use to use indian head shellac n the manifiold gaskets.But he has since left the gm dealership in 97 and it has been years since he has touched any 231 so i need expert opinions on this thanks:D

I used to use Indian Head for everything. Fortunately, nowadays there's stuff that works better and is easier to remove if you have to take things apart later.

The valley pan gasket can go in dry, but I used some of that spray-a-gasket from Permatex. It works great.

On the ends of the intake, I put mine in dry......then had to pull the intake off again because oil was leaking everywhere. Looked to me like the places they needed sealed were the very corners - at the ends of the rubber strips. I put a thin bead of silicone along the whole edge, though.

HTH,
Jim

Put some 'The Right Stuff' in each corner where the head meets the front/back of the block. Spray the area of your Fel-Pro 96033 intake gasket where it will be between the head and intake with Permatex Copper Hi-tack, both sides first and allow to dry adequately first. Install the end seals and valley pan. A touch more Right Stuff in the corners again. With the upper removed, set the intake into place and look down the intake runners to ensure best port alignment possible. Sequentially bolt/tighten down to torque specs and reassemble. :)
HTH
Jim

Thank you very much

Thats exactly what I wanted to know.Thanks for the help.:cool: