You can type here any text you want

help my choose my combo

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tom Tom Turbo

Turbo Goes Woo Woo
I'm in this fight with my dad over my car. He bought it new and sold it to me a few years back. Technically I let him have a say in what goes on the car, but I make the final decision. He thinks that with 77K miles, its too old to be throwing a new turbo, injectors, and such on it. The motor runs fine, its eaten Mobil 1 its whole life, and the tranny shifts smoothly. Its getting a new Eaton posi and the rear suspension has been taken care of as well.

My question is, what is the best turbo for me to go with? I would like the be able to keep the stock converter in place until the tranny dies on me. The car is daily driven so it needs to be reliable. I was thinking of going with a TE44 or TA49 and some 009s or 50s. What are the pros/cons to these and am I making the right choice or should I just crank the boost on the stocker? Thanks!

Tell him I didn't start seriously modding my daily driver until it hit 123K. :D

Didn't start racing it until about 133K. :D

Timing chain should be thought of first.

50's or 57's High Impedance skip the other injectors entirely.

TE44 and some alky. and you are low 12's dependable.

Prolly need a tranny rebuild around 100K if it starts flaring 2-3 on you with the increased power generated with the new combo.

Think about the timing chain and valve springs.

Back