HELP!!! no Fuel Pressure to the rail???? Pump gone?

1985GN

Breaking parts
hey gusy i have a prob that snuck up on me tongiht an hour away from my house. i was going to make a turn around on a street when the car died on me and wouldnt start back up. i have no fuel presure to the rail at all and i cant hear the fule pump priming at all. here is the low down on it all. the fule filter is new, new FP gauge, new injecotrs, new AFPR, 6 month old Reds XP plus fuel pump with hot wire kit. i have been having bad wheel hop as of late. i notived after playing with the car last night and having wheel hop again that hte car when i got on it today was hesistating and backfiring. i would get on it and as soon as the boost started to ride the car would hit a wall and i would have to let off. it started to get where normal cruising i would give it a little gas just to go a little faster and it would hesistate and feel like a miss. well it ended up being the fule pump is not getting fuel to the rain. coudl this be a fuse? could the pump be bad?? could a wire have fallen off during one of my many wheel hops?? where do i look for the wiring under the car for the fuel pump?? any ideas on what i should look for to see why i am not getting fuel to the rails?? thanks guys i need some help on this one.

First job is to see if you are getting voltage to the pump. Take your volt meter to the back of the car. Behind the licence plate there are 3 wires going into the back of the fuel tank. Have someone turn on the ignition and measure the voltage to the gray wire, which is the fuel pump signal. Put the ground lead of your voltmeter to the chassis and use a safety pin with the red lead to puncture the gray wire while the other person turns the ignition on. If you have any more than 10 volts at this wire and the pump isn't running, then the pump is bad. If you have no voltage at this wire for about 5 seconds after the key is switched on, then you have a problem up front:

Bad hot wire relay
blown fuel pump fuse
bad fuel pump relay on the passenger side fender well
broken crimp connection in the hot wire circuit

Hope this helps,

ok i looked at some stuff. first is i looked in the fuse box and i couldnt find a fuse that said fuel pump or anyting so i dont know where to check the fuse. the other thing is there is wires going into a connector under back bumper and 3 wires that dissapear to on top of the gas tank. now the 3 wires are black, brown, and pink so i dont know which one is the power for the pump. do these wires go to some kind of connection on the pump that oculd have fallen off? grrr this is stumping me and im about to take it somewhere. thanks guys

now the 3 wires are black, brown, and pink

The black one is ground, brown is the fuel pump wire and pink is the fuel gauge, I believe.

Sounds like my prob, My relay for the hotwire keeps F-ing up, if I tap it, it will usually work (at least so far).
I am thinking that might be your problem too since you have been vibrating it pretty bad with wheel hop. Checking for voltage on the pump and before the relay will tell you for sure, also check for voltage to the stock relay on the firewall if you dont have it to the hotwire relay.

Note, I have a TTA and am able to fold down the D/S rear seat and beat on the axle well with my fist and get mine working to avoid getting under the car, the gauge on the rail lets me know this is the problem and when I finally get it working.

There is a 15 amp fuse for the fuel pump, it's just above the A/C fuse. I had a similar problem last week, car just died turned out to be the oil pressure sender plug melted and shorted caused the fuel pump fuse to blow.

There is a ground wire inside the trunk on drivers side, back near the tail light where the floor falls into the quarter panel well. This ground was knocked loose in my car which caused the fuel pump and gauge to stop working. Fixed it and was good to go. :cool: Maybe check that ground on yours.

1970gsx..

The same thing happened to me once. I had a big box or something loose in my trunk. I took a corner kind of sharp and the box swung over and pulled out a wire on the inside of my trunk. Had me freaked out for a while. :eek:

I was happy to see it was a simple solution.

My car is doing the same thing right now. I have a new filter, regulator, pump, and hot wire. I have 13.0 volts going to the pump, the pump turns on, but I'm not getting pressure at the rail. I think the sock might have fallen off of the pump or something, because I can hear it pumping, but it's not pumping enough. Going to drop the tank tomorrow and see whats up.