Help Please [tuning/chip]

jon_we4

Cold Fusion Monkey
its a little hectic over here :D

i just got turbo link running

also just installed my MAF trans and was surprised to find out that i needed a special chip to read the higher readings.......but oh well...then i was looking at the ramchargers site and it said something about adjusting the fuel with a turn of a knob with the extender chip

this just confuses me ..... what is the extender chip exactly??? and who makes them for ramchargers or is it inhouse? after i tune the car would i be able to give them my setup and turbolink files for them to make the ultimate chip for me???

Thanks!
Jon

The Extender chip is what adds the abitlity to control fuel delivery by allowing the system to read "ALL" of the air comming into the engine.

Because of "limitations" in our ECM, the stock MAF is only able to read up to a maximum of 255 gps(grams per second) of air flow.

We of course know now that that number is EASILLY exceeded when going over 14-15# of boost, or any mods done to the engine at all.

Once the MAF tops out at 255 the engine is no longer able to accurately determine how much air is being used, and since the MAF is one of the major players in fuel delivery, the ECM has to make some guesses as to fuel delivery once the MAF tops out.

The Extender chip, through some ingenious math algorythms, and just plain old yankee enginuity, now virtually eliminates that "glass ceiling" of 255. It fools the ECM into thinking it's seeing half of what it actually is, and as such you would have to actually flow 512 gps to get to the 255 limit. The 255 limit is still there, we can't change the hard facts and limitations of the ECM, but the Extender skirts around that problem.

There are T/R's out there that can even flow more than 512gps of air (running in the 9 second range), and there's an Extender Extreme for those special occasions.

With the Extender installed, you can now use the knob labeled MAF WOT to tune your fuel curve when the car is in Power Enrichment.

They should be able to make you a very good Extender if you just tell them everything about your car's setup. They shouldn't need any TurboLink files. Direct Scan files they can read, but probably not TurboLink.

To answer your other question, the Extender (along with the Translator, Translator+, Boost Command, and Scanmasters) are made for Ramchargers by Bailey Engineering.

Pull the cover off your translator. It's all in there. No offense meant ... but did you not receive instructions with your Translator? Bob Bailey designed the Extender chip and you get it through RamChargers. The purpose of this setup is adjustability. The base chip you buy from RamChargers is set up for your basic combo and then "you" do the fine tuning to suit your likes. You desigh you own ultimate chip! If you want to use race gas... tweak a few switches. If you have crappy pump gas... tweak a few switches. HTH

Paul

Originally posted by Sleeper
Pull the cover off your translator. It's all in there. No offense meant ... but did you not receive instructions with your Translator? Bob Bailey designed the Extender chip and you get it through RamChargers. The purpose of this setup is adjustability. The base chip you buy from RamChargers is set up for your basic combo and then "you" do the fine tuning to suit your likes. You desigh you own ultimate chip! If you want to use race gas... tweak a few switches. If you have crappy pump gas... tweak a few switches. HTH

Paul

i dont have the + so it looked like the few pages of insructions did not apply to me. so if i get the extender chip then i cant really fine tune it --- but it will read the highter MAF readings

nnoooo way..... i just read more of the instructions...... so what cant i do with the MAFT that i could do with the MAFT+?

Extender is the name of the performance "PROM" or "CHIP" that goes into your ECM. He programmed it to take full advantage of the Translator setups with the newer MAF sensors along with a bunch of other cool features that most chips don't have to offer.

Extended MAF range, Scan tool will display half of actual airflow
False knock ignore for the first 3 seconds after launch
Lean Highway Cruise
MAF dropout eliminator
Locked Block Learn at full throttle
Extra spark advance in low gear.
Fast turbo spoolup
High-Tech Anti-stall function for low-inertia torque converters
Loop-control: User controllable open/closed loop features.
Launch-assist: User controllable brake-torque spool-up enhancement
Available anti-theft and valet functions
Shift light (blinks Check Engine light)

New Rev. "E" also has:

Adjustable feature turn on/off
Adjustable full throttle TCC lockup mph
Adjustable Spool fuel ratio
Adjustable shift light rpm (blinks check engine light)

Anti-theft stuff is cool. All in one chip you can turn on the anti-theft (default), a convenience mode (turns off anti-theft so it starts normally which is great for staging lanes), and a valet mode (makes car drivable but when you step into it the check engine light comes on and engine shutsdown) which is great for when others drive your car.

Translator gives you ability to change idle fuel and WOT fuel settings when using the Extender chip. Extender chip takes advantage of the ability of the newer MAF to read 512 gps. Translator Plus has the same features as the Translator but also gives you the ability to make timing changes.