You can type here any text you want

Help with heater core and electrical problem

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

CombatComProg

Hey everyone. My heater core in the TTA is being a complete biatch. Anyone have some good instructions, maybe with photos, for replacing one? I get limited time to work on it at the auto shop on base, and I really don't know how much stuff I'm supposed to take apart to get to it. I've spent a couple hours already and still don't see it, but most of the time has been me searching for hidden bolts, as this is the first dash I've taken apart. Also....my buddy on base was working on his car at the same time as me, trying to fix door locks in the fuse box under his dash, when he noticed the pins for the door lock relay were not there. He transferred pins from the fuel pump slot to the door lock relay to test it. He connected battery again (forgot to take his smart pills) and moved the pins back to the fuel pump relay slot. Two of them touched, a spark jumped from one pin to the other pin, and now fuel pump, radio, and power trunk release isn't working. The engine won't turn over and we are wondering what could be damaged and how to diagnose it. His car is a Saturn SL2 (I know it's not a TTA, but you guys are the most knowledgable car genuises in the world.) Any help from you guys on this matter or if you can direct us to anyone who could help, that would be greatly appreciated.

No answer on the Saturn. Tell him not to do that next time :D

But, as for the heater core it's not that hard at all. I changed mine when I had an 86 T/A. Same spot. You don't need to take the dash apart too much. There's the kick panel above the passenger floor, and a few misc bolts and maybe one more cover. It's at the firewall on passengers side, and (if I remember right) should be real easy to see/find once you've taken the big cover off the passenger side (bottom cover). It's the same one you use to get to your ECM by the way.

Pick yourself up a Chiltons manual for the 3rd Gen T/A's. It's fairly useful and damn near everything applies to the TTA with a few exceptions.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific since it's been about 12 years. But I remember it being VERY easy to find / replace.

HTH

Michael

Back