Help with securing door strap pulls

brittken

Crazy for Sonya!!!
My door strap pull screws keep coming loose. I know it is a problem with these cars. I was thinking of taking the upper door panel off and inserting some plastic wall anchors into the original holes end then reinstall the screw into them. I think that the screws should not come loose then. If anybody has a better idea or know something that works please lend me some advice.

I put some lock washers behing the screws and it helped a little. In the end they still come loose. I think the answer is this:

For the love of god....don't use them!!!!

For the love of god....don't use them!!!!

Yep. Well said.

Actually, take the upper door panels off, get a U shaped fastener (I think they may be called J nuts) like they use to bolt on body panels. Cut a slot near the original hole with a small cutoff wheel on a die grinder and slip the fastener in so the nut is behind (inside.) Then use an appropriate size bolt to secure the pull straps with some thread locker. This is as close to a "permanent" fix as there is. The metal on the inside of these doors is crap and never will hold without some serious help.

Use license plate screws they are a little bigger and fit tight in the stripped hole.

in addition to using the license plate screws, drill out the hole a little bigger if necesary and use the plastic insert that is used for the license plate screws on the license plate holder it hods snug no problem.
otherwise, you can purchase threaded rivets that get crimped into the door where the screws used to go.

I've used 'rivetnuts' with success. There are a couple of different designs out there. Some that install with a normal hand riveter. Some install with a little screw tool provided in the kit. Some require a special riveter. You still have to remove the door panel, drill out the screw holes, and install the rivetnut which leaves behind threads for a bolt. I use the #8 machine screw.

I have used the technique stated by Swt_86 with great success. It requires the fewest special tools and if the speed nut ever loosens up, you just have to slide it out and replace it with a new one for about 30 cents.