You can type here any text you want

Hey

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Saladin45

There is a darkside
Hey guys

I managed to get my car starting up and driving again since putting in the crank sensor.

But I've still got the problem that the motor idles like crap and it runs rich. What can I do to fix this problem? Also, when it's idling like crap, it sorta turns side to side in the engine bay, which is due to the crappy idle. It also pushes smoke out the back end everytime I start it up. But I think this is due to the fact that it runs irregularly. I plan to start starting it up more often to get it a little more lively.

Also, is it possible that 87 octane fuel could make our cars run crappy like this?

Please, help.

I'm thinking it could be a leaky injector, cam sensor, ign module/coil pack.

What do you guys think? Input, please guys. I'm getting desperate.

-Saladin

I'm thinking it could be a leaky injector, cam sensor, ign module/coil pack.

-Saladin

Um.... yea... sure could be, or about 500 other things. For starters, the thread title of 'Hey' won't get many all fired up to help figure out your problem...:rolleyes: You are going to have to provide more/better information before any halfway intelligent/reasoned troubleshooting can be done. Do you know the fuel pressure? Is the check engine lite on, and if so, have you pulled the codes? Do you have a scan tool? The shaking engine thing and 'seems rich' is just way to vague. Have you pulled any plugs out? Are they gas fouled? I mean, I would like to help, but you've got to help us help you..... at least a little.... :confused: I'm willing to bet it isn't the crank sensor... and no, 87 octane won't make the car run like 'that'... but it won't run worth a crap at anything more than a few pounds of boost w/87 octane, at least not for long... Is your car an 84-85 hotair? Come on, man.... help me help you....

Hahaha, my mistake completely. :)

It is an 84 hotair.

I've already checked the spark plugs, those were cleaned up as they had gas on em.

I don't have a scan tool, but I have had in the past a friend who came over with one. I'm hoping to purchase one similiar to his soon.

The engine shakes side to side from time to time when its idling. Sometimes it'll go completely normal, then it'll just start shaking left and right. Not really violently, but enough to make it noticeable that the car is shifting side to side. But the moment you put it in drive or reverse or anything outside of nuetral, it runs good.

The engine light doesn't come on while its on. Interestingly enough...

It runs rich and also, it smokes out of the tailpipes. It's not a thick black smoke or anything. But just it smokes. And as I said, I think it's due to condensation. But at the same time, someone who came over who owns a Turbo Buick said he thinks that it's possible its that a cylinder is mis-firing. Which was why we put in the crank sensor.

At least now the crank sensor allows the car to start everytime. Before I would be lucky to get a hit, or sometimes just wouldn't at all.

If you need anymore info that I've left out, I'll immediately let you know.

Help me!

Back