You can type here any text you want

High Oil Pressure

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

MCH86GN

Today, I finally got remaining parts put in my car, I recently had broken the crank and then got a running motor and used the short block from that to put motor back together. When I plugged everything in, believe it or not the car started right up. Car ran at high idle, cycled ignition then it settled to 875. But two things are going right now, high oil pressure and motor heating up a little too hot. I shut it off at ~215(I'm going to investigate this one a little more myself).

Oil pressure is about 40psi at idle. I have a new sensor and the old bell looking thing that a ground wire is attached to. Baring it not being an issue with sensor, what are some other possibilities that could be causing it. This shouldn't make a difference, but I don't have engine oil cooler.

Thanks,
Charles

You may not have a problem with the oil pressure. You haven't heated the oil up yet. Just because the water temp was high doesn't mean the oil temperature is. You have to take it out and drive it to warm the oil up.

Plus, what weight is the oil? And you are in Mich, where it is a little cooler than here in SoCal so that may have an affect on it as well. 40 psi at cold idle is not terrible, but when warm may be a bit much. When you put together the short block, or put the heads on it, was the front cover a high volume unit? Lots of variables here. Are your fans coming on at all?

You may not have a problem with the oil pressure. You haven't heated the oil up yet. Just because the water temp was high doesn't mean the oil temperature is. You have to take it out and drive it to warm the oil up.

Thank you. Once the car heated up it was about 10 to 15 psi. Just cold oil.

Plus, what weight is the oil? And you are in Mich, where it is a little cooler than here in SoCal so that may have an affect on it as well. 40 psi at cold idle is not terrible, but when warm may be a bit much. When you put together the short block, or put the heads on it, was the front cover a high volume unit? Lots of variables here. Are your fans coming on at all?

10w 30. As it turns out, once the car warmed up the oil is between 10 to 15 psi. I was so fixated on everything being within normal range, easy to overlook the obvious. 35f oil is fairly viscous. Thanks for the response.

Glad you got it worked out. I know the feeling when you fire the motor for the first time, or go on that first drive. Every little noise and hiccup makes you nervous.

Hopefully you get the overtemp deal figured out too. Maybe some air bubbles in the motor still? Good luck brother!

Glad you got it worked out. I know the feeling when you fire the motor for the first time, or go on that first drive. Every little noise and hiccup makes you nervous.

Hopefully you get the overtemp deal figured out too. Maybe some air bubbles in the motor still? Good luck brother!

Right on again, I had the car started and had the cap off the radiator and while running it "burped" and then the coolant started flowing and I had to add about another half gallon. Temps staying at 160 - 165.

Now on to next issue, the heat isn't working, which doesn't matter because I don't drive my car in the winter, but it worked before. Then TPS sensor is needs adjusted, all kinds of little things. Heck at least it starts and it's running "normal" at idle. Considering, I'm not a mechanic and I did most of the work. I wouldn't never advise someone as inexperienced as myself to do what I did. I went through a lot of grief figuring things out that I didn't pay
attention to when I took it apart.

Thanks,
Charles

Back