Home theatre buffs...

I didn't realize it was a contest for the best Frankenstien system really.

What you're comparing doesn't have the same capabilities of what we're talking about, but I give you an A for ingenuity!

Joe

Well, since I'm too cheap to get cable or a dish, there's really no point to my trying to go the HDTV route. I just wanted to be able to play games and watch movies. (I tell ya, driving games kick some serious butt on an 80"+ screen!) If I were incredibly concerned about picture or sound quality, I would have spent more money. I wanted quality cables, so I spent the money I needed on them, other than that, I wasn't all that concerned.

Maybe when I upgrade the projector to something a little brighter with better resolution I'll move the HDtv direction.

Thanks for the compliment though. I'm really glad I threw the system together. I use it almost every day.

- Freed

yea, what's better than large screen video games...I tell ya though I bet you'd be impressed w/an XBox in HD tho!!

I saw x-box Unreal in HD and I wasn't all that impressed. The particle physics and lighting were beautiful, but the resoultion of everything else was the same, so the players all looked pixellated.

That having been said, I would love to see Halo or Rallycross Challenge in HD. Real quality graphics in those games, and I think they would make the transition nicely.

- Freed

I have the Mitsubishi 55" also, Not sure its the same Mod.# but it was the more expensive 55". I also bought a Boston surround sound system and a progressive DVD one month later, no payment for 2 yrs. :D :D
Get the room completly dark and pop in a DVD and its like your at the movies
:cool:

jmidolo - What needs to be calibrated? the TV or DTV
The regular cable looks like sh*^t, DTV looks pretty good(except football just OK)
With the HD receiver don't you also need a different satalite? how much $'s?

Originally posted by Freedster
I saw x-box Unreal in HD and I wasn't all that impressed. The particle physics and lighting were beautiful, but the resoultion of everything else was the same, so the players all looked pixellated.

That having been said, I would love to see Halo or Rallycross Challenge in HD. Real quality graphics in those games, and I think they would make the transition nicely.

- Freed

Apparently not all titles are in 1080i. hometheaterspot.com has a gaming section and some of the people are floored by the x-boxes capabilities.

Theres also a sneak peek on the PS3. No dates or specs, but if its better than the 2, it should be fantastic

47" GE (amazing picture for the price)
Panasonic DVD
Sony ES DTs/5.1 surround receiver
Klipsh 5.1 fronts
Klipsh dual 6 center
Klipsh 8" inwalls in rear
Polk Audio powered Sub

All audio fiber optic linked
S video link on video.

I like it ALOT...

Calibration is done on the TV itself. An ISF tech will have equip. to properly measure and adjust your set for correct color, grayscale, etc... There are also patterns that are NTSC spec that when used with the equip. will actually have your tv display the colors as it should. Part of the calib. is focusing your guns, both elec. and manually, cleaning the lens, performing some geometry correction work on your set to display the images correctly, setting up the convergence via the service menu so your settings are saved forever, disabling the "Red Push" via a eeprom reprogram, all in all it took Gregg 5 hrs. to do my set. When finished the thing is amazing. Even cable is acceptable (depending on how strong your signal is ie...splits and so forth) DTV is 100 % better even for football. DVD and HD are truely unreal. The guy I used is Gregg Lowen www.lionav.com goes all over the country too. My set is a Mist ws-55819 the higher model as well.

HD sat receiver...yes, you need a different dish in order to pick up HD on your Sat. Too much snow around here to think about putting up the new dish yet..so I'm using it for reg. satellite and OTA hd signals...works great. It's a sony hd100.

Joe

Originally posted by TurboJim
Apparently not all titles are in 1080i. hometheaterspot.com has a gaming section and some of the people are floored by the x-boxes capabilities.

Theres also a sneak peek on the PS3. No dates or specs, but if its better than the 2, it should be fantastic

I agree. I thought the graphics on the Dreamcast were awesome, but they pale in comparison to the x-box. I still find myself watching the replays of my races on Rallysport Challenge because I can't get over how great they look, and I continue to marvel at how great the outdoor scenery in Halo is. I can't wait to see how SegaGT2002 looks on it.

Just wish I could play Grand Tourismo on it, though. Loved that game.

- Freed

Xmas present to ourselves this year was the 65" Mitsubishi widescreen...I was gonna get the 72", but I couldn't see spending almost twice as much for 7 more inches (TV inches ladies, TV inches...;))

I just love watching progressive-scanned DVD's! Only HDTV broadcasts around here are the PBS stations, and one of the Fox sports channels, so I haven't sprung for a converter yet. I have a fairly killer sound system I've had & built onto for 24 years, so I can break windows watching "Stargate", but no "theater" sound system...but since the wife always has a headache, I don't get to break many windows anyway!

Originally posted by Buick From Hell
Xmas present to ourselves this year was the 65" Mitsubishi widescreen...I was gonna get the 72", but I couldn't see spending almost twice as much for 7 more inches (TV inches ladies, TV inches...;))

I just love watching progressive-scanned DVD's! Only HDTV broadcasts around here are the PBS stations, and one of the Fox sports channels, so I haven't sprung for a converter yet. I have a fairly killer sound system I've had & built onto for 24 years, so I can break windows watching "Stargate", but no "theater" sound system...but since the wife always has a headache, I don't get to break many windows anyway!

I was thinking about the 65 but its just too big for my room, and like you, I couldnt justify the extra $1000 for something THAT big given my room size.

What kinda equipment? I love hearing about what people have. Any pics? I havent broken any windows, but I have shaken lotsa stuff off the walls. My wife had these corner shelves...little trinkets on them. I broke a few precious moments thingy's when they hit the hardwood floors :p Funny...something falls and you wonder if it was a sound effect in the movie, or you should get up to see what broke......

I got some pics of my setup I just gotta get off my camera and onto my server. I'm quite happy with my system. Mitsu WS55511 55" 16:9 HDTV, Sony 935 receiver, Sony NS755 DVD player, DBX 3bx (Dynamic range expander) and 120x (Subharmonic Synthesizer) , Denon DCM777 CD plater, Polk Rt2000 (not the i's...mine have a 200w RMS sub amp in each cabinet..) mains, CS350 center, FX500 surrounds, Velodyne 12" servo sub.

Jim, nice component rack ya got there...what kind is that?

Quite an f'in mess you got behind it too! See, I can say that now that I just spent an hr. 1/2 getting mine all neat. Not quite there, need to buy some 1.5" wire loom and get everything finished up. I just dropped 200 bux on moster cables too...****ers aren't cheap, there isn't much dif between their bottom of the line and super top.. I went w/all their MV2 stuff. Nice cables. Tomorrow I will run my speaker wires and all and be done hopefully.

Oh, by the way, moving your set DOES throw off you convergence if you can believe that...particle board flexes on carpet...good thing is it only shifts left or right, so the whole grid doesnt need to be gone over again...

Just bought "The Ring" gonna watch it tomorrow night, supose to be REALLY freaky :)

Joe

Altra Audio Stand/Cabinet $129.97
Black * Audio Stand * 1 Fixed & 3 Adjustable Shelves * Hidden Wire Management

http://www.pcrichard.com -> audio -> audio racks -> show all (default is show in stock only) Apparently theyre out of stock right now.

I had the wires neat, until the guy cut my looms to change the coax for digital cable (I dont know why the hell he needed to do that). AM getting the HD cable box Sunday, so I have 5 RCA's to add, once together I will re-loom it all.

Man I wish I could get a nice shot of the living room. Flash washes it out, no flash comes out underexposed. Putting my hand in front to get the flash to bouce doesnt work for crap. Everything also has a pink tinge. The screen shot looks red/pink despite the fact my set shows very little red push.

You had a "Guy" setting up your ****? Man, must be nice ;P

Digital cable box...RCA cables? I would think they use component cables and a digital toslink fiber cable??

Called my cable company, looking into digital cable...50bux/mth they only offer 2, 4, 7 in HD. Talk about sucko... I told the guy, "That really sux, I get more OTA for free!" Kinda stumped him there :) I'll have to take some pics of mine once I finish neating it all up.

Joe

Originally posted by jmidolo
You had a "Guy" setting up your ****? Man, must be nice ;P

If I could, I would. Cablevision wont "leave a box at the door". I honestly dont want some schmuck touching my equipment. He does haveta set up the box though. When I got my dig boxes that I have now, he hadta go into a service mode and set up my account. Maybe its the same with these boxes, I dunno.

Digital cable box...RCA cables? I would think they use component cables and a digital toslink fiber cable??

Component vid cable...fancy name for an RCA cable. Only thing is I need 5 for the HD stuff. R,G,B,H,V. Add to that the coax for dig audio (this box doesnt have a TOSlink) and the R,G,B for the DVD I got another bundle of wires back there now.

Called my cable company, looking into digital cable...50bux/mth they only offer 2, 4, 7 in HD. Talk about sucko... I told the guy, "That really sux, I get more OTA for free!" Kinda stumped him there :) I'll have to take some pics of mine once I finish neating it all up.

Joe

Love to see it!

Originally posted by TurboJim
If I could, I would. Cablevision wont "leave a box at the door". I honestly dont want some schmuck touching my equipment.
[/i]

I'd have him set it up on the floor..."Yea, that's where I'm gonna keep it..got a prob with it? Now do you job and leave" :)

Component vid cable...fancy name for an RCA cable. Only thing is I need 5 for the HD stuff. R,G,B,H,V. Add to that the coax for dig audio (this box doesnt have a TOSlink) and the R,G,B for the DVD I got another bundle of wires back there now.

You only need 3 for vid, and 1 digi for sound..so 4 right? You lost me there. Sux they have no TOSlink though. Headed back to Best Buy...need one more cable, then home depot...get some wire loom and some wall plates so I can run the rear speaker wires down the wall, out the plate. Prolly just get a blank plate, drill a 1/2" hole and come out w/wire loom. Don't see a need to add another connection inline really w/a set of plugs...more connections mean more failure, oxidization etc.. :)

Then off to sears to return an antenna, then rak shak to return another..hehe..all these f'in antennas!

Joe

Hi Boyz, I bought my HDTV 2 years ago and love it..
Mit's 46 HDTV
Marantz Sr8000 reciever
Marantz 18mark2 Dvd
Center Channel Definitive Technology 2300 with built in 250w sub
Front Speakers NHT towers N25I's
Rear speakers Definitive Technology BP2X
Subwoofer Subsonic7:
Love to kick back and watch the movies.....
Hey Joe thanks for the info on the guy who tweaks the RPTv, will be calling him soon to have my set tweaked... And Jimbo when are you going to fine time on watching that beatiful RPTv when your wife will be watching da soaps....
Rich nice set there also will be coming down soon, was going to Etown today with rick to run the The big block camaro, but rick had to change his plans ...
Joe H...............

Yea, he's great, if you love your set now, you'll REALLY love it after having it calibrated.