HOOD CLOSER SHOCKS

PaulRV6

Can someone show me a picture of which way the closer shocks mount? I don't know if I have them the correct way. The hood seems to be binding right before it closes and I don't know if its the shocks or something else in the alignment. Or is it usually very tight to close. Thanks
paul

Hood Shock body up, but it never really changed the way the hood closed if they were upside down on my cars.
Lube the hinge pivot assembly if needed look for rust and corrosion.

^^ X2
The hood shocks have a built in cushion to keep the hood from slamming open and need to be mounted with the body of the hood shock at the top, with the rod at the bottom.
It almost sounds like your hood shocks are too long??

Can you advise what the exact length should be? I would like to measure these to check that out. Thanks

Mine feels tight just before it closes due to the coil spring on the hood that keeps the hood biased on the latch. It's a pretty heavy spring.

Can you advise what the exact length should be? I would like to measure these to check that out. Thanks
The dimension when open is 15-1/4" from center of bolt to center of bolt.
Hood Shock 4428.jpgHood Shock.jpg

Either of these works. I use a new one on one side and an old, weaker one on the other.
That way, the hood doesn't want to taco.

Attachments

• Hood shocks 1.jpg
    Hood shocks 1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Hood shocks 2.jpg
    Hood shocks 2.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Hood shock placement.jpg
    Hood shock placement.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 24
Rock Auto lists the Delco 510-309 for al hoods and 510-307 for steel. Do the 510-309s hold the hood up? Are they just easier to close?

Rock Auto lists the Delco 510-309 for al hoods and 510-307 for steel. Do the 510-309s hold the hood up? Are they just easier to close?
They hold my steel hood up for me. I really don't notice a difference between them, but again, I only use one new one at a time.

I've got 2 different brands on mine and I don't remember which is the older one.

The one new hood shock is a great idea! I just bought a couple sets from highway stars that claim not to have the "stiffness issue" that the others have. We shall see....