Hood Scoop Question

fc227

1986 Grand National
Hi Everyone,

I acquired a 4" hood scoop today. The Problem is the offset carb on our type of turbo setups. I was doing some measuring and there is about a 7 to 8 inch offset. I will have to fab up a sealed plate and filter setup for the carb. The stock carb hat has to be some restriction.

Now on one of the articles Rich gave to me there was a guy that did this. But for the life of me I can't find the article.

I also am not sure which way to point this thing. it is towards the rear of the hood , So I'm thinking cowl induction. Since this will be a street strip car I'm also concerned about rain getting in there .

Anybody have any input here?

Originally posted by fc227
Hi Everyone,

The stock carb hat has to be some restriction.

I measured the inlet a while back & it's openning is less than 2" tall :eek: That's pretty dissapointing because it looks so cool.
Tonya opted to keep hers on her car. I swapped on a cheap 1,000cfm Edlebroc ac on mine. I tried a few others I had lying around but they were all too tall & would have hit the hood.
As for scoops, I thought about keeping the stock TB hood & cutting two air inlets (Kind of like the ones Bonneville cars use.) into the the front of the hood & ducting fresh air to the carb & maybe the turbo itself for possible(?) cooling effect. I'm sure they sell inserts somewhere for this but I'm not sure where. Have seen them on BT turbo'd cars before.
I do like cowl inductions but they say "Chevy" a little too much for me to really want to put one on my Buick. Options are pretty limeted tho. I wonder if a Jenkins Pro Stock II would be wide enough?

Talking to the guy I work with & he also did the heads for me. He thinks it's good Idea, he doesn't like the stock carb hat. With this scoop it a straight shot into the carb.

I also set it on the Monte tonight looks pretty nice there.

Plus the car will defiantly loose the "Sleeper" look.

Well , I didn't make it to the track Again today . But I did get the Hood scoop installed. Looks pretty good. It's not functional yet but I work on that this week. Cowl induction 4" scoop , this and the vacuum pump should get me in the 12's .

Well , I have the pan made up . I'm hoping to take pictures later this week. But it looks like it's going to work. Foam was installed tonight. I'll try to get the pan on the car tomorrow.

Fred,
I can't wait to see the pics, sounds like it's going to look good.
I've always liked that look myself. :D

Well, I got the K&N top for it the filter. A little trimming here & their and it's almost a straight shot into the carb. Now I have to get to the track to test. I was going yesterday but the weather didn't cooperate.