You can type here any text you want

Hooking up with street tires

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

PsYcHo GN

Member Extraordinaire
I'm just curious to see what combinations work to make street tires hook at WOT (wide open throttle).

Does anybody use adjustable rear upper control arms to change the pinion angle of the rear end/driveshaft?

How about air bags? Do you need to put more air in one side than the other? How many psi usually work?

How about the No-Hop traction bars?

I currently have 15x8 weld wheels in the rear with 275/60/15 BFG Drag Radials and they just break loose when I stomp on it. I'm looking for a way to make the tires just hook and book. I'll be changing the wheels and putting on some 19" wheels with 275/35/19 tires.

I've lowered the car with 1.5" lowering springs and installed bilstein shocks all the way around. It also has hotchkis suspension, so I would like the car to handle like a pro-touring ride, but hook and book if an LS1 or Cobra rolls up on me. I'm trying to get the best of both worlds.

Not going to "hook and book" on 19s especially from a stop.

I wish there was a "true" street tire that hooked. I changed my Cooper Zeon's for BFG drag radials and I still can't get the car to hook even at the track. I think MT drag radials would hook better but for a real street tire, especially a 19" it's just not going to happen. I am changing to MT ET drag slicks when I run the car and back to my Cooper's when I drive on the street I will just have to feather it. Good luck.. :-) PS - I have full HR suspension and lowered the car about 2". I too want to play in the corners but there will be limitations.

The BFGs (and Nitto DR) need some heat to do the job. The M/Ts are much better, but to take full advantage, they need some heat, too. If you're not hooking with the M/Ts, then they're not hot enough...

Don't know of any street tire that will hook at WOT. What you're asking/wishing for is at best a series of compromises. A tire best suited for straight line grip will usually have too much sidewall deflection (wrinkle) to be any good for high speed cornering.

Likewise, a pro-touring tire (like the 19s you mention) handle great, but break away and make great smoke shows pretty easily due to their width and tread compound/design.

Back