You can type here any text you want

Horn Problems...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Originally posted by Turbo Brian
To confirm, you can sound the horn with your hand on the relay case. That should tell you if that is what you heard earlier.

Bingo! That was it, I hooked the battery up, put my hand on the white box, made it make the noise and sure enough it was the source of the problem. Now stupid me didn't pay attention to which way this thing came out. It has three prongs do they go up, down, left or right?

ugh, I got the old relay out, got a new one in and the problem still is there. No horn, clicking noise. Next suggestion?

Probe the dark green wire out of the 3 wire area of the convenience center with a meter or test lamp with the other end to a good ground.

When you click the horn relay it should read +12 or light the lamp.

The relay coil and the relay switch common get power from fusible link A and since the relay clicks I would assume you have power into the box and relay so we need to test the relay output when it's clicking.

Most likely that will work then we can move onto the theft deterrant part which is most likely not in good shape assuming you have that option?

1. Have you checked to make sure they did not cut the wire to your horn?

2. Do you have a test light. Check the circuit to see if you are getting power. If the alarm went off and kept blowing, I have seen horns go bad. Are you getting power to the horn?

I don't have the wire diagram in front of me, but most horn problems that I have found are due to a bad ground to the horn. If the horn has two wires, one is a ground. Have someone sound the horn, and check for power at the horn plug with a test light. If that is good, plug in the connecter, ground the second wire, and sound the horn again, it should work if the horn is good.

Obviously with all this testing I would assume he did the first test which would be to put power and ground on the horn itself to make it go beep beep from the battery. :)

If not that's a good first test. :cool:

A test lamp or voltmeter on the green wire at the horn reading to a good ground while clicking the relay on is also a good early test.

well, I am not going to get to this till Thursday... looks like I got a whole lot of testing ahead of me...

Make sure you have a good ground on the horn also when feeding it the +12 battery power.

The grounds go bad more than the +12 wiring.

Read the green wire with the horn button pushed also and relay kicked in to make sure you have +12 on that wire also.

Back