Hotwiring bad on fp's?

Squirley87

I am curious if this is something I did or just a faulty fuel pump.

I had a walbro 307 pump last fall with the "homemade" hotwire I made off of GNTYPE.ORG. One fine morning, the g/f goes to start the GN and it cranked but wouldn't start. I thought my sotwire was bad but I was getting power after the relay, just no power to the pump. So I disconnected my hotwire and wired it back stock. Still didn't work. So, I ordered a 340 walbro and that is what is running in my car now. I don't have my hotwire hooked up because I am not sure if that is what caused it to crap out the 307. Any thoughts, should I rehook my hotwire or buy a proven kit.

The GSS307 must work harder than a GSS340 to function in a turbo Buick especially if you are running higher than normal fuel pressures. The GSS307 should be covered under warranty for one full year only if it has not been modified (i.e. check valve).

Unless you:
Ran the pump dry
Let the pump sit all winter with moisture in the tank
Failed to install the proper 30 micron filter sock
Ran the pump at abnormally high pressures
Have a pinched line
A collapsed filter
Blocked the pickup or
Starved it for voltage

There should be no other reason I can think of that would cause premature failure.
… but then again it is 5:00AM… ZZZZZZzzzzz zzzzzzz :rolleyes:

Jack :cool:
Racetronix
www.racetronix.com

PS if you decide you want a PnP harness here is the link:
http://www.racetronix.com/Racetronix-Buick_PnP_Fuel_Pump_Harness.html

Hot wiring the pump onlt effects it in a positive way. You upgrade the main power feed to the pump enabling the power it needs to get to it. The factory wiring is to small and to indirect. Hook the hot wire setup back up. make sure your ground is good etc...and make sure to check your fuel lines, especially the return line...if your return line is not allowing fuel to return to the tank the pump will have to much back pressure and run hot and end its life early.

Most TR owners here run the hotwire setup. I even bypassed my priming setup so the pump runs constant as soon as the key is turned on.

Sweet, a little reassurance is what I needed. I didn't think it was the hot wire but I was pretty skeptical on the new pump. I want to make sure everything is ready to go when I go to the track for the first time later this spring.

I checked my fp and it is at 41# line off. I would think over 50 is alittle high at idle, line off.

Yes the PnP Hotwire harness will work with the XP pump or even a stock pump. Any voltage increase to the fuel pump is a good thing.

Jack :cool:
Racetronix

Ditto David, Jack you have paypal!!! I think this will be more of a reassurance than my own handy work. Electrical isn't my cup of tea. Lata