You can type here any text you want

How can you tell original 1987 tires?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

t-topflyer

Going to look at a set of original Goodyear Eagle GT tires from 1987. Where are the date codes on them and how do you read them?

Look for the stamp

Stamped on the tire is a code. The last four digits is the manufacture date. First two numbers are the week #, the second two are the year.

2209 would be week 22 of 2009.

HTH.

HA! I heard Bad to the Bone by George Throrogood when I let the air out:biggrin: Dry rotting is definately a possibility but I would think it would be minimal if they were stored properly. Date coding info is what I'm looking for. Read somewhere that before the 2000s it was just the last digit of the year such as 417 would be 41st week in 87. Not sure though. Was hoping to find someone on here that had an original set that might be able to post a pic of the date code.

I believe you are correct, that tires made before 2000 were of a 3 digit prefix, and that tires after 2000 were of a 4 digit prefix.

I'm going thru the same thing as I have some old Goodyear tires I'm pretty sure are close to 20 years old, but I cannot find any date stampings on them. Hhhmm....when did they start? 1995?

Original tire sets were identified in yellow crayon or grease marker with the last 4, I believe #'s of the assembly line tag, which is a tag that travels along the assembly line with the car. When I purchased my about 81XX mile '87T from the original owner in '02, the marker was still slightly visible on the tires. And the actual assembly line order tag came along with all of the original paperwork. I still have the original tires, not on the car, and I will see if I can get you a date code tonight when I get home from work. HTH

I have my orig tires from my 12k mi GN

there stored in bags, in the garage, I'll see if I can get the numbers from them.
be very cautious, these are over 20yrs old, I wouldn't use them on the highway!

Did anyone find out for sure what the date codes are?

I'm trying to figure out if I have original tires or not. The codes on my tires are H16L, B60 and 277. I'm guessing the date code is the 277?

Thanks
Chris

I think that # would be from original tires. My #'s are very similar, and I know that my tires are original.

Goodyear discontinued the original tires years ago. They make a tire that is close, but not the same.

Thanks for the help Gary

Roger - I'm not looking for original tires. When I bought the car I was told it had original tires on it. The car was driven most of its life with GNX style wheels and the OEM ones were put away. So when I bought the car it had the OEM tires on it.

Chris

I removed my original Goodyears today and brought them to the muffler shop to have new Kumho's mounted. I bought the car (86 GN) two years ago with just under 25k miles on it. Now it has about 300 more miles. I told them at the shop to (1) put the weights on the inside of the wheel if needed and (2) save the old tires. When I go to pick them up tomorrow I'll see if they can follow instructions. Kirban has said that if they aren't careful they can put gouges in the wheel. I also brought that to their attention. Will be nice to actually be able to drive the car over 40 mph! I hated driving a GN and being passed by soccer moms in their Dodge vans!:eek:

Back