how do I keep aluminum from dulling (intake)

fireberd350

My top end is apart right now and I ported my intake and at the same time polished the outside of it....it came up REAL nice looking but I know it will not stay that way w/o some sort of coating....i have high temp clear and standard clear and can buy whatever....

what will work....

my throttle body is also all polished up and I want to keep that nice also...i dont know what material it is tho......i need some quick help too b/c I'm eager to put it all back together

Steve,

Eastwood makes this stuff called blue away, Its for polishing headers and stuff. Its good for high temp, but I am not sure if it is for alluminum? You can also try Blue magic you can get that at pepboys. No matter what you use its still going to dull, you will just have to keep up with it. I usually powdercoat the intakes they never dull that way................Good luck, Ed

how much do you think would powdercoating my intake cost, just an estimate? I may do hat depending on how long it takes....does it take like a week to do that or what? i've never had anything powdercoated b4...thanks, sTEve

I WILL CALL MY POWDERCOATER TOMMOROW AND SEE, WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR LIKE AN ALLUMINUM OR SILVER COATING?
SHOOT ME AN E-MAIL WITH YOUR PHONE # AND I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT I FIND OUT. IT SHOULD ONLY TAKE A DAY OR SO.

ED

SECOND CHOICE, IF NOT GETTING POWDERCOATED

Nyalic Clear Coat Barrier

Keep your buffed-out parts looking NEW! Most metals will start to corrode almost immediately if not protected. Clear Coat solves this problem by protecting parts with a crystal clear, tough coating that will keep brass, aluminum & steel looking great.

When properly applied it will not chip, crack, fade or yellow. Heat-Resistant, great for almost any engine compartment component. Not for manifolds, headers etc.

Clear Coat Barrier: Aerosol, 12oz # pt1252 $29.95

====================================

The most heavy-duty clearcoat we have ever found!

HTH :)

Just use a 2 part clear (catalyst paint...single stage clear)
cheap, easy done deal.
all the high heat stuff is junk, don't waste your time.

Two-Lane,
Where would one purchase this stuff. I polished my turbo shield, but if left unprotected it rusts. I want to stop this. Will this stuff work?

TIA

Call JB's Powdercoating have him put it in clear and forget about .
hose down the intake and dont have to worry . (812)952-1204 or johns87gn@aol or goes by yogi on this board super fast turn around.

Originally posted by Boston Boy
Two-Lane,
Where would one purchase this stuff. I polished my turbo shield, but if left unprotected it rusts. I want to stop this. Will this stuff work?

TIA

http://www.italiancarparts.com/paints_coatings/Paints-Coatings.html

(bottom of page)

Works great on factory intake!! :)

But...it is not formulated for really high-temps, and my concern for such a high-heat area, like the Shield, is that it may yellow. Think some VHT header paint would do better there...Jeg's carries the VHT line of paints.

HTH :)

Who's talking guinea pig! Johns done at least 50 Intakes and can send pictures of his products! Didnt seame to scace a buddy of mine when he took a brand new set of $2500 RC Componet wheels out of the box, new crome and all , and gave them to john to get them done in translucent red to make them look candy red. With no imperpefections and a marvelous look he was extremly happy, even made referance today about how everyone allways wants a set as we were putting his bike on the dyno. Belive the bike is on his web site www.finishlinemotorcycles.com hey well worth the money no labor just drop it off at ups and put it back on when its back in about a week!

Naw qtr, not your buddy, I was talking about the zoop stuff. I'm only about an hour from New Albany. What's his going rate on stuff? Or should I call and work my own deal?

Originally posted by John Larkin
I'm only about an hour from New Albany. What's his going rate on stuff? Or should I call and work my own deal?
John, just email John Butler, and he usually gets back to you quick. I've had several parts on both my cars done in black and aluminum colors, even my turbo shield, and the engine bay looks like a different car. Cost is reasonable, I'll forward his contact info.