How fast on unported stock heads?

Q

Quick231

I just installed a fresh rebuilt motor w/billet caps, 218/218 comp cam and stock unported heads. The heads only have the upgraded 100 lb springs. I plan to install GN1 alum heads in the future just wondering how far can I go right now. My combo: 50 lbs inj, V4 IC, hot wire kit, 307 fuel pump, adj fuel reg, TA52 turbo, THDP, ATR 3" exhaust, Precision 9.5 non-lockup conv (3200) stall, scanmaster, power plate, K&N filter, and car is at full weight.

With the things you have there you can go low 11's but you will need higher boost (25+PSI) to get it done.

My time is in the signature. Combo is similar to yours except motor is all stock (including cam and heads) and torque converter is a 3000 stall 12". I'm running a PTE52 and a PTE f/m with 50# injectors. For the time listed I ran 26# boost.

HTH

boosted got a lot more out of his motor than I ever could (see my sig). Like his, my motor is also stock, but he has a good bit more turbo than I do. The only differences are, I run a V2 FM and a high stall vigillante converter (locked at WOT).

Quick231:

Like BOOSTEDLC2 and INTERCOOLER posted, you can get low 11's and some mid 120's trap speed, but you're really going to have to lay into the boost! :)

On a different note, how does your 218/218 cam sound? Mine sounds like a sewing machine, just wondering.

-Bobby

Originally posted by boostedLC2
My time is in the signature. Combo is similar to yours except motor is all stock (including cam and heads) and torque converter is a 3000 stall 12". I'm running a PTE52 and a PTE f/m with 50# injectors. For the time listed I ran 26# boost.

HTH

Those are times I'm hoping to see with my new combo, I'm just hoping that the KB IC will be good enough to see 26-28psi :D. and maybe my HG's.

Originally posted by GRNDNL
10.96 @ 122 factory stock motor, boost at 30+

Now that's what I'm talking about...;) What suspension mods do you have? I assume it's a full weight GN?

Originally posted by GRNDNL
10.96 @ 122 factory stock motor, boost at 30+

Wow sounds like another Tim Stockwell car;) It just goes to show that if you got the guts to run 25+psi anything is possible.

I went 11.38 @ 117 mph. That was with 25 psi. I don't really want to push the boost much more than that at this point. The guys that are getting 120+ mph out of their cars are really doing well as far as I'm concerned. The boost has to be way up there to get your mph that high. I don't think I am going to try to get 120 mph out of the bone stock long block. I may be able to get there but I'm not willing to risk trying.

All that I could get out of my car was a 11.77@113mph with the stock block and heads. That was with 27psi:eek:. Some of you guys has to have very, very light cars to run those numbers.

My GN ran 11.12@120.4mph with the factory stock block cam and heads, you can see my bolt ons at my web site in sig.
Dave

Melissa's car ran 11.5s @118 in street trim....stock motor...44 , blues, an a V4.....stock converter...I believe with a better turbo an more inj she would run a lot better!!! new combo comin next week ;) ohh ya that was with 22#s

11.249 @ 121.34

70 F, 50% RH

Easy launch

Mediocre track

26-27 PSI

3,450 # w/driver

Sneaking up on 10.99999999, with the original valve springs...

:D

Car with driver was 3640, 1.50 60 ft. The new motor has Ported Irons and 218 roller, 10.65 @125 with 22 lbs boost.

Mine was 3590 lbs right after my 11.38 run. That includes me in the car. That's pretty damn close to full weight if you ask me.

RE: Bmason

My 218/218 comp cam sounds good. I could tell it is more aggressive than my old 208/208 cam. It does have a sewing machine sound but is very light. Engine sounds great. I used the comp cam lifters that came with my cam kit. Also my car weight is around 3700 lbs with me in it.

Originally posted by 3.8vsix
All that I could get out of my car was a 11.77@113mph with the stock block and heads. That was with 27psi:eek:. Some of you guys has to have very, very light cars to run those numbers.

Not really, mine weighs 3860 with me in it (190+).
Just takes a good hard launch, but also a very efficient torque converter (I also lock mine).