How long do car manf's have to carry parts for their cars?

GN One Day...

Is there a law or anything that says an auto manufactorer has to carry replacement parts for a car for x number of years? Does that apply to only mechanical, or also body, interior, electrical etc? I've heard 10 years mentioned before, but not from anything official.

Only for the warranty period.

Emission stuff has to be warranted for the lenght of the EPA certification in effect at the time of manufacture. Used to be 5yr 50K mile but it's gone up over the years.
while it used to be just emission equipment, it's now emission related items.

Emissions is now 8/80, and they keep stuff for all different lengths of time, to average it all would be 10 years. Some 69 camaro parts are still available, but you can't get dash vents for a 96 vette:confused:

I remembered a discussion about the ZR1 and engine parts being a problem to find, and I've found that I can't get certain (new) interior detail pieces for my SC. Sucks that when you want to make a car new again that you don't have the simple stuff to do that with. How does this go with TR's? Is it hard to find a new console and similar pieces?

I used to work for a supplier to GM, Ford, DCX etc. We used to have to supply the part for 7 years after the car went out of production. They have since pushed it to 10 years.

DCX demanded that Prowler/Viper parts be available for 25 years after production ends!

Hope that helps,

Mark F.
87 GN 11.9 @ 115