You can type here any text you want

how reliable are the carbed turbo engines?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1982TA

Hello,

I am not very familiar with the carbed turbo V6 engines, so I was wondering how reliable they are, and what can be done to increase performance? Are they difficult to work on? What are some common problems or things to look for with these engines. I have been contemplating putting one of these engines in to my project car but would like to know more before I fully decide to do it.

Also, how much is computer controlled? If it's like the 301T's in the 80-81 Turbo TA's, pretty much just spark advance was controlled correct?

any info would help.

Thanks

Mine's been very relaible. The key in understanding how they work, having a good shop manual, a cheap scan tool and the right gauges.

It's all about running more boost and less knock. Alcohol injection is a good idea. The 301 set-up was a copy of the Buick system, so they are very similar.

Look at my signature for a link to my '83 T Type. It's running mid-14's consistently.

I take it these engines aren't very popular then?? Compared to a 301, which would have better performance stock? I know the 301 has pretty much zero aftermarket, and not much in upgrades. Is the buick engine the same as far as performance upgrades? I was thinking of putting one in my '82 TA. I've also throwing the idea around with a 301T also. Nothing definate, but I would like to turbo and I'm trying to keep something from around that time that could possibly come like that from factory. Not sure what would be involved with the buick swap or how similar the block is to the later '86-'87 GN's. I know the heads are different in the 89 TTA but from what I read, they are just FWD buick heads from like Rivieras.

Same long block (for the most part) as the 86/87. The carb/turbo isn't very popular because it is over shadowed by the fuel injected version. Running a turbo motor isn't so much about buying aftermarket parts, but more about tuning what you have.

The 301 is bigger to start, but the V6 might have more potential. There is a 4.1 V6 that will accept the 3.8 Turbo set up.

The Factory almost made the TA with the Buick V6 long before 1989:
1983 Turbo Trans Am?

In 1982, the Firebird was resigned and power was lacking with the Small Block Chevy 305 as the top engine. Pontiac investigated the Buick Turbo V6 for use in a new "Turbo Trans Am". In the May, 1982 issue of Hot Rod magazine, the possibility of the Turbo Trans Am was reported. From the Down the Road section by C.J. Baker:
"Pontiac Engineering is reportedly investigating alternative engine options available from the GM corporate engine list, and unless you've been living in a cave somewhere, you know what that means - the turbocharged 3.8 liter Buick V6. A Trans Am already fitted with the newly revised '82 Buick Turbo V6 has been spotted running around the GM Proving Grounds in Mesa, Arizona, and the results are reportedly very impressive. Such a package could be a reality as early as '83, offering the buyer some real distinction between the Z28 ands the Trans Am"

1984 Turbo Trans Am?

Later that same year, in the October, 1982 Hot Rod issue, the TTA came up again. From the Down the Road section by John Baechtel: "Rumor has it the 1984 Trans Am will be fitted with a highly developed [SFI} version of the 231-cubic-inch, turbocharged Buick V6; the idea being to give the Trans Am a renewed sense of identify that can't be achieved while the sports car [shares] the same powerplant as the Z28 Camaro. Having driven a car with the '84 Turbo package, we can assure you a Firebird with this combination would be quick enough to give new meaning to the term Trans Am Territory."

Had the 1983 or '84 Turbo Trans Am become a reality, it certainly would have changed the direction of Pontiac's F-body. It probably would have also taken away some of the image from the Grand National. Just as Chevy lost the opportunity with the Turbo Monte Carlo, Pontiac missed it with the Turbo T/A (or maybe Buick was protecting what it had!) It wasn't until 1989 that the Buick powered Turbo Trans Am became a reality.

Back