You can type here any text you want

How´s the DP supposed to be secured?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Lunkan

Crazy? Me? :-P
I´ve just re-installed the DP again, but I can´t remember that it was secured somewhere. There´s an "ear" welded on it, but I can´t find any good place to bolt it.

temp\thdp_01.jpg

temp\thdp_02.jpg

Anyone have a good idea for me here?

Thanks
/Andreas

I bought the car late last year, and it had the DP already installed. In december, I started taking the engine apart, to replace the heads and rebuild the transmission. As the transmission rebuild took quite some time, the rest stopped. It has taken so long time, that I forgot how the downpipe was assembled.

It would be grate if someone could take a picture of how it´s supposed to be.

Thanks
/Andreas

There is a bracket that goes from one of the crossover bolts to that tab on your THDP. It looks like a flat piece of steel with one end having a tube on it. The other end has just an open hole. Then you would use a 1/4 inch bolt and some washers to attach both of them.

Look at your 4 crossover bolts. One will be longer than the others. And its the inner one torwards the motor not the outer one thats next to the frame.

Sorry no pixs of that area on my car.

Great Julio, thanks for the info. Now I only have to find that bracket :rolleyes: :o

Thank You Julio for describing the bracket, now the DP is in place :) For some reason, I had put the bracket along with the transmission stuff. Not too strange I couldn´t find it.

Heres another tip on the THDP, if you havent done this..

What I do is "pin" the pipe at the joints. In other words remove the band clamp, drill a small hole through both pipes(inner and outer) and insert a small flat headed stainless screw through the pipes. Then get the band clamp and put over the screw/joint. What this does is prevent the pipe from moving out of position..then banging onto the car. I did this to both top and bottom connections after "the pipe was set and not hitting anything". I also used a 3 inch muffler/tailpipe hanger from the exhuast to the tranny crossmember area to add a little stregnth. The factory cat mount isnt very strong.

HTH

A old tread.... but I need some help. I bought Lunkans THDP and he installed it in my car. There is lesser place in my car that in his.

My DP lays against the crossover plate (I am not good on what the things called... but I think its the thing I mean lol) and that gives me some vibrations and false knock :(

I will take a pic on what I mean tomorrow. I also think Lunkan took a bolt of from the THDP ear before installing it at my car. Dont remember so clearly.

Daniel

It sure was a PITA to remove his stock one and install the THDP. Somehow, there is more room in my car than it is in his...

Daniel, "removed a bolt"? I haven´t removed any bolts.

/Andreas

I had a problem with my THDP hitting the frame. New motor mounts seemed to fix it for me.

BTW, can anyone make a sketch of this little bracket that the downpipe tab mounts to? Mine was long gone and I want to fab one up. How long is the tube and the tab, and where is the tab located along the tube, etc.???

Originally posted by Lunkan
It sure was a PITA to remove his stock one and install the THDP. Somehow, there is more room in my car than it is in his...

Daniel, "removed a bolt"? I haven´t removed any bolts.

/Andreas

You know the bolt for the "ear" or something ? You said, this one shall I have to my new DP.

If I remember correctly. But you might have put it on afterwards, I have not checked. I will unregistry the car any day to come now. Its not fun to drive in 32 F...

And the problem to remove my stock DP, depended on my "transmission guy" that was nice and destroyed some bolts and so on... Grrrrr

Daniel

Dumb me! Never thought about staking the downpipe lol, but i think next free weekend, mine will be :-)

The bandclamps sure as heck dont hold it on place lol

Have the HnR poly mounts on mine and clearance is fabulous now! Can seem to notice some vibration, but doesnt seem excessive and certainly no worse than stock eng/mounts was..

Install it using a friend and one works upstairs and the opther downstairs lol Sure seemed to make everything go in place easier and keep the gaps uniform for cleaance

later
Jeremy

Back