You can type here any text you want

How to add a wire to FAST XFI plugs?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
Okay,

This is a stupid question, but I need to add a wire to the "B" FAST XFI plug. I have Casper's 'essential connector' kit so I have the right connectors but I can't figure out how to install them. There's a white thing on the plug that looks like it might need pried out? I feel like an idiot but I can't figure it out.

TIA,
Jim

If you look at the connector"B" you will see the white bar,Flip it over and you will see a small slot and you will see the white thru it.
Take a small screwdriver and push it into the little slot,IT ONLY MOVES A TINY BIT,Then stick the new terminal in,It will only go in easy one way.
Once it is in,push the white bar back in.

Here is an installation sheet of a product where you need to open the connector and add a terminal...it describes how to do it. Read on:

http://www.installationinstructions.com/108122.pdf

You need to be sure the crimp on the wire is very tight and close-cropped because it's a snug fit into the connector. Use 18 gauge wire.

Thanks both of you!

I was moving that white bar but I didn't think it was moving enough, but sure enough it worked. I used 16 ga wire which made it a little tougher but I got it to go.

Once my FAST module gets here (had to get a new IAC driver) I can see if I was successful. I used the Aux #2 for the relay on my 2nd fuel pump. I noticed that on my Casper's harness that there's an unused pink wire coming off of B1. It would have been nice if that were B2 ;)

Jim

>>> I noticed that on my Casper's harness that there's an unused pink wire coming off of B1. It would have been nice if that were B2 ;)

Jim

That pink wire is in B19 (lower right hand corner) not B1. Looking at the back of the connector, the upper right corner is B1, the numbers read from right to left.

That pink wire is in B19 (lower right hand corner) not B1. Looking at the back of the connector, the upper right corner is B1, the numbers read from right to left.

So I probably put my connector in the wrong place. That's okay - more practice!

EDIT: while we're on the subject, what's the right tool for crimping those? The tool I have is way too big. Is that something I can get at Radio Shack or something?

Jim

The tool used must make a very tight and narrow crimp on the insulation end of the terminal, otherwise it will not fit into the connector properly. We use a 3 ton punch press with a special applicator die to crimp the XFI terminals. If crimped properly, the terminal will slip into the connector easily (and come out easily if you need to remove it).

The good news is, there are two different sizes of terminals, and the larger of the two have no problem with the insulation crimp.

Most of the terminals used, however, are the smaller terminals.

The tool used must make a very tight and narrow crimp on the insulation end of the terminal, otherwise it will not fit into the connector properly. We use a 3 ton punch press with a special applicator die to crimp the XFI terminals. If crimped properly, the terminal will slip into the connector easily (and come out easily if you need to remove it).

The good news is, there are two different sizes of terminals, and the larger of the two have no problem with the insulation crimp.

Most of the terminals used, however, are the smaller terminals.

Thanks. I googled it and came up with a bunch of smaller crimping tools. The automotive ones are too big. Maybe for next time.

I moved that pin to the right spot. I don't know if it's working or not, I assume it is (supposed to activate at 10 PSI). Next step is to install an indicator light so I can see when FAST actually applies that ground on the output.

Jim

Back