How to clean and polish T-Type Wheels

aminga

Chicks Dig the powerbulge
There are lots of questions about how to do this so I thought I'd show you my project last year. A new and improved T-type wheel with a powdercoated finish. One that just wipes clean, no wheel cleaner needed.

I started with a set of Ebay wheels so I could have a spare set for drag radials. They were dirty but mostly in good shape one had a little curb rash nothing major.

wheelproject_20080629_003.jpg

wheelproject_20080629_005.jpg

THe tools of the trade. An Eastwood soda blaster and XL soda. For the average wheel soda will strip the coating and clean them up without doing major damage to the finish on the ribs. These were beyond that I had to resort to 80 grit glass beads.

wheelproject_20080629_008.jpg

The first step is to blast the wheels down to a clean finish. I made a little box for the wheel to sit on to recapture most of my glass bead. Take your time work in all the cracks, get everything. The important thing at this point get everything clean. Get the wheels out in the light and look it over. If there is any grease, brake dust, it should be uniform bright aluminum at this point.

wheels_20080708_1892.jpg

wheels_20080710_1902.jpg

Comparison to blasted and unblasted

wheelproject_20080629_015.jpg

Bead blasting will leave the ribs in a rough finish. You have to get the back to a shiny state. If you want a stock finish you need to make friends with someone in a machine shop to cut the machine grooves in the ribs. I wanted a little more bling so I polished the ribs to a bright finish.

First Step, Fix the curb rash on one wheel.

wheels_20080710_1897.jpg

Start with 80 Grit Greasless compound on a spiral sewn wheel. I used an air grinder. Touch the compound to the spinning wheel and coat it good. Let it sit for a few minutes to dry and then work the area keeping the wheel moving. Work it down until you polish the scratches out. You need to work a ways out from the rash to make a smooth transition.

Also give the ribs a pass with the 80 grit to smooth them up from the glass bead

wheels_20080712_1904.jpg

After the 90 grit you are going to go to successively finer compounds to get them polished. I used 240 and 320 grit to get the ribs ready for polish. After the 320 they should be close to a factory finish. I wanted more.

Clean the polishing mud off and then start over with Tripoli compound on a spiral sewn wheels. This will get the outer rim. A tapered goblet buff will get the ribs and inner rim. Keep the wheel speed up If you're running the buffer fast enough the part should be almost too hot to touch. Polish with the Tripoli compound until it's almost chrome like. You want to get it to almost full brightness with the tripoli compound.

After the Tripoli White rouge is used to color the part. The Tripoli put the shine on this but the rouge will make it pop.

You will get some polishing "mud" on the cast parts of the wheel. Don't use wheel cleaner it will dull the polish. Brake cleaner will work. After cleaning the wheel Use some paint prep or other cleaner to get all of the gunk off of the wheel. These wheels will not stay bright for very long in this condition they have to be coated. I used clear powder coat. I've tried other clear compounds and they don't last.

Preheat each wheel to drive out any contaminants. Let it cool until it is to 100-110 degrees and shoot the clear powder, this hot flocking will help the powder adhere to the wheel. Bake the clear until the part reaches 350 degrees and hold it for 20 minutes. Do not overheat the clear it will turn brown. And don't apply the clear too thick it will crack when the temperature changes and you'll have to redo it (ask me how I know)

The finished project. It wipes clean with soapy water.

wheels_20080727_0071.jpg

wheels_20080727_008.jpg

The colored tri-shields add a really nice touch..outstanding job sir!

So how much would this service be worth to the community. Because it is labor intensive. Depending on how dirty the wheel is (the example above was the worst I've done) it can take up to an hour per wheel to get them clean. Then 2 hours polishing the ribs. This is per wheel.

I was like to purchase 4 "good to go" wheels

You would need to put a price on your labor ( and the wheels) Your work looks great

Updating this for Posterity.

I did 6 wheels 4 for show and 2 for drag radials. Out of those six 3 of them had the powder coat crack when the weather got cold on the polished parts of the wheel and flake off. This was partially because

1) The powder was applied too heavy
2) It was undercured.

If you can catch it early (before any powder flakes off) you can reheat the wheel and make the ugly go away. It's best if you do that because powder sticks with a vengeance to the cast portion of the wheel.

I've modified my process and a little and added an IR thermometer to my arsenal to help with the curing. So far this is working.

After polish bake the wheel at 500 degrees to outgas You'll find some nastyness that the high temp brings out like some left behind old clear it will turn dark.

Mask the polished portions of the wheel with either duct tape or High temp masking tape (this is exactly the width of the ribs) and blast with 80 grit glass bead to remove the polishing mud and clean up the cast parts.

Cool completely and apply a coat of clear powder

Cure until flowout begins. At this stage you can see some thin spots and orange peel. Hot Flock to correct those.

Heat the oven to around 400 degrees and monitor the temp of the wheel with an IR thermometer.

Cure for 20 minutes after the wheel reaches 375 degrees. You may want to drop the oven temp back to 375 when the wheel is hot.

Thanks for the bead instructions. Only cleaner I have found to get to the aluminum is Nevrdull. By hand. Will the clear powder coat hold up?? Drew

Thanks for the instructions on bead blasting the factory wheels. Only cleaner I have found to work is NverDull. By hand. Be interesting to see if the powder coat holds up. Drew

aminga,

Do yourself a big favor. Contact a chemical rep. It does not take much to use and learn. And your results will improve dramatically. With out chemical pretreat it will be vary hard for you to get any type of life out of something you put so much quality work into. A polished surface has nothing for the powder to bond to or it will delaminate.
with out some type of pretreatment. Use iron phosphate and fluoride for alum.

aminga,

Do yourself a big favor. Contact a chemical rep. It does not take much to use and learn. And your results will improve dramatically. With out chemical pretreat it will be vary hard for you to get any type of life out of something you put so much quality work into. A polished surface has nothing for the powder to bond to or it will delaminate.
with out some type of pretreatment. Use iron phosphate and fluoride for alum.

Can you pretreat and keep the polished surface.

Powder coated Turbo t Wheels

I did the same to mine except powder coated the cast section in siver verses clear....for a Gray car....see pics.....

Attachments

• 100_3771-1.JPG
    100_3771-1.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,130
  • Wheel Final-1.JPG
    Wheel Final-1.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,151
The colored tri-shields add a really nice touch..outstanding job sir!

I've updated those too. These are a set of Repopped Center caps with the shields off of an 83 Regal Thanks Brian :D

TRHeaderInstall_001.jpg

One more update to this. As I said above the polishing process is going to leave mud behind in the cast portions of the wheel that is a royal PITA to get out. The last wheel I did I tried a little experiment and masked the polished ribs with blue (actually green) painters tape to protect the polish and lightly blasted the mud with al ox and viola.