How to clean GTA wheels?

Matt Weiser

It's an F.U.V.
I've got a set of GTA wheels that have some brake dust baked onto the gold centers pretty good. What's the best way to get this stuff off without damaging the wheels? Are these wheels clear-coated?

Some of them are clear coated and some are clear powder coated.
I have four fronts sitting in a shed. Two of each.
I found this out when I put the aircraft remover to them.

As for the cleaning I don't know. Maybe some simple green and alot of elbow grease.

I've got honeycomb silver wheels on my bonneville and am going to try test tube brushes. I know what you mean, you have to get in all the little spokes its a PITA:mad:

I'll second that emotion. I also want to "restore" my GNX wheels. I have already polished out the aluminum ring but I think that I would like to repaint the black part.

Somebody has done this already I'm sure.

I just rehabbed a set of GTA front wheels. I did not look too hard for a solvent that could removed solidified brake dust. I was able to remove 99% with a variety of screwdrivers and rags. Wrap the tip carefully and rub the black spots until the tip is black, then move to a new spot on the rag. The only part of the wheel that I had real trouble getting the black off was in the tiny holes near the center of the wheel. Masking off the silver lip was a PIA. I cut short pieces of masking tape, worked them onto the wheel from the painted center out with the tip of a key, then went back and trimmed along the paint line with an exacto knife.
The other option I considered was powder coating the entire wheel or just the center portion, but decided to try this first to see how well a careful spray can paint job will hold up.