You can type here any text you want

How to disconnect antenna cable?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNRick

Retired member
I installed a new power antenna in the fender. I'd like to just plug it into the factory coax cable but I can't pull apart the factory cable at the boot, to accept the male end of the new cable. I can push the cable in, it seems to have a spring in there, but it doesn't pull apart. What am i doing wrong?

they do just pull apart unless they are seized which sometimes happens

What about the spring, or at least the feel of a spring? I can push them together but not pull apart. I know this is the original cable because it attached to the antenna with two little screws and a metal plate. Plus the wire harness looks original- green and grey wires. Maybe it takes more determination? And, it looks like the cable that I would leave in the fender is the male end, so I would need a double female connector if they make them.

What about the spring, or at least the feel of a spring? I can push them together but not pull apart. I know this is the original cable because it attached to the antenna with two little screws and a metal plate. Plus the wire harness looks original- green and grey wires. Maybe it takes more determination? And, it looks like the cable that I would leave in the fender is the male end, so I would need a double female connector if they make them.

I'm not sure why its spring loaded,but it is......i remember that the black shield doesn't separate like it looks like it should?? dont grasp it when trying to seperate ends.

not sure if you got it but

i've done tons of installs including the short antenna craze back when mini trucks were in, back in the 90's. normally GM has some type of adhesive or the heat from the engine has made the gromet and the antenna cable seize together. you may use a flat head screw driver and force the gromet out the engine side because all the heater core stuff is in the way behind the glove box. then you can use maybe a box cutter and see i you can't cut away alittle of the gromet and reinsert your new cable. then add some clear silicone to seal it so no water gets in. just thought i'd throw my 02 in there since i've done this multiple times and what i would consider doing. it's not spring loaded though, i think it's just the rubbery gromet going back and forth that you see or feel that makes you think it's spring loaded.

good luck

ant

i've done tons of installs including the short antenna craze back when mini trucks were in, back in the 90's. normally GM has some type of adhesive or the heat from the engine has made the gromet and the antenna cable seize together. you may use a flat head screw driver and force the gromet out the engine side because all the heater core stuff is in the way behind the glove box. then you can use maybe a box cutter and see i you can't cut away alittle of the gromet and reinsert your new cable. then add some clear silicone to seal it so no water gets in. just thought i'd throw my 02 in there since i've done this multiple times and what i would consider doing. it's not spring loaded though, i think it's just the rubbery gromet going back and forth that you see or feel that makes you think it's spring loaded.

good luck

ant

No, ant, it definitely feels like there is a spring in there. It is at the juncture where the antenna seems to have two parts to it, pushed together. I know I could fish the new cable in behind the glove box (I have the door off of the car, showing where the cable goes) but I was hoping I could leave the original cable in there and just connect to it in the engine bay. Thanks for your reply.

a spring there would be news to me

No, ant, it definitely feels like there is a spring in there. It is at the juncture where the antenna seems to have two parts to it, pushed together. I know I could fish the new cable in behind the glove box (I have the door off of the car, showing where the cable goes) but I was hoping I could leave the original cable in there and just connect to it in the engine bay. Thanks for your reply.

i understand where your at but unless it's one of those wavey type rubber boots you see around doors where the wire runs to power locks and windows i'd be surprised. you may try the flat head screw driver trick i'm saying. wedge it in there between the gromet and the metal and see if you can see all the way through. just a thought, as i said i've done alot of them and maybe the wire has seized onto the antenna wire and you just need to be alittle more aggressive in trying to get a better look at it. just my 02 and no problem. if i can help which i've done installs since 85ish so i know plenty. not claiming to be the most knowledgable but i do know and have done these. So regardless good luck and if anything if you want cut the antenna wire and see if you can pull it through one way or the other since you wont need it anymore.

you're better off just running the new cable instead of dealing with a 25yr old connector. The more extensions and connectors you have on the coax, the worse your signal will be and chance of interference.

Back