how to find a bad caliper??

87gninpa

i just replaced my master cylinder and everything seems fine except when i stop, i hear a loud clicking from the passenger side front of the car. it did this slightly before, but now its really bad. the only thing i can think of is a bad caliper. how can i make sure before i jsut start replacing parts?

just from my own experience....

I had a similar problem. Every time i'd slow down, I'd hear this clicking noise. Especially in parking lots, I'd hear that annoying sound, and it seemed to sound louder there too. I stripped off the tire and checked, but couldn't see anything wrong with my brake calipers, rotors, bearings nothing. Turns out the center cap sat a little loose and was the culprit. Hope this helps.

Sometimes on that style caliper the pads don't fit tight enough

And if there are any high spots on the rotor, it will make the pad move. Try clinching the tabs on the pad to tighten them up, and if you have access to a dial indicator, check the rotor to see if it has any high spots, or lateral runout. A simple but crude way to check is to remove the wheel, and spin the rotor. If it seems to have a tight spot, they will need to be machined, or replaced. If you should have to replace them, I would recommend staying away from the "white box" (mostly made in China) rotors a lot of parts store carry, stick with Wagner or Raybestos. The white box rotor tend to have problems right out of the box, and warp easily for some reason. :cool: