How to fix inner rear wheel well rust holes

ScottyRegal

I think this is the only spot left on my car with rust...woohoo!! I worked my ass off sanding and rustproofing the undercarriage of my car...came out awesome!!!

now i go to do my rear brakes and pop off my wheel, and on the inner wheel well where the tire covers ...the metal seems to be flaking off, so i poked it and it all fell out and made a hole LOLOLOL
so its small id say about the size of a stick of wringleys gum. and the rest is just flaking....my idea was since i dont ahve a welding machine is to sand the entire lip down form the flaking crap...then POR patch small holes and with the big hole use fiberglass with resin...good idea or no i need to get this professionally cut and welded?

any ideas would help.

Dunno what kind of tools you have but you need to cut slightly beyond the rusty edges of the hole to clean metal. Otherwise rust will continue to grow. Once you do this cut a small patch panel of 1/16" aluminum (hardware store should have small sheets for little $) since you won't be welding it in. Size it to fit the hole almost perfectly. Then tape it in place from the outside. Go inside and coat the backside with either Tiger Hair (fiberglass-reinforced bondo) or even two-part epoxy, maybe 1/8" thick. Once dried, remove tape and do the other side. Sand lightly with 180 grit sandpaper and spray with undercoating. It will last a long time.