You can type here any text you want

How to indentify stage II in car

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Warp6

Mine since '92
Going to look at a couple cars (TR's) possibly to buy. I don't know the history of the cars but, you never know, maybe someone stuck a stage motor in one of 'em?? Not likely, but can't hurt to look. What do I look for? What can identify a stage motor without crawling under the car? Thanks, Craig

Power six emblem stamped on the side of the block, i am sure there are other ways to do it and some people will chime in.

Oil-in fitting near where the stock turbo oil drain would be on a stock block.

Look at the head bolts. If they are using 14 bolt heads, then you will see the extra headbolts.
If they are using stock or 8 bolt alum heads on a stage 2 block, then you won't see the extra headbolts. This doesn't hold the heads on a well but will work. To me it would look like someone used what they had.
My stage 2 has the oil return in the stock location, but I have seen it routed back to the oil pan or timming cover.
Only true way is to look at the numbers on the driver side of the block and the power 6 symbol.

Gary

Black Car said:
Look at the head bolts. If they are using 14 bolt heads, then you will see the extra headbolts.
If they are using stock or 8 bolt alum heads on a stage 2 block, then you won't see the extra headbolts. This doesn't hold the heads on a well but will work. To me it would look like someone used what they had.
My stage 2 has the oil return in the stock location, but I have seen it routed back to the oil pan or timming cover.
Only true way is to look at the numbers on the driver side of the block and the power 6 symbol.

Gary
can any of this be seen from the top side?

Look for a harmonic balancer MOST stage cars have one. That is usually a give away.

Of course it could mean it has an aftermarket crank, but usually stock blocks don't have a harmonic balancer.

You can have a stock crank pully balanced and use it on a stage block... but anyways.

a Balancer means you need to investigate further and it is very likely to have a stage block.

if the car is good 10,000 $ more than you want to spend it has stage II in it. :biggrin:

Back