How to remove bumper sandwich plates & spacers?

1KWIKSIX

I'm finally changing over my steel inner bumper supports to the aluminum ones I've had fin my possession for a while. Wow are these things ever heavy!

Got all the nuts / bolts out and have the steel inner support removed, but can't seem to figure out how to remove the dog bone shaped sandwich plates with the threaded studs from the support.

It would appear that there are some small & very thin round retaining washers or discs that hold the sandwich plate and spacer solidly to the bumper support.

Any help by anyone who has removed these before would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

dave

just hit the stud in with a soft hammer and the retainer will slide off as it goes down
they will bend a little but you should be able to reuse them to put the dogbones into the aluminum at least long enough to get the bumper in place and get some nuts on
the retainers are there to keep the dog bone from falling in when you pop the bumpers on , even if they all break you can just push the dog bone through the support and tie a thin string between the studs at the base and that will hold it long enough to get it installed ,
on front bumper if you install the the bumper lamps before installing bumpers on the car they will also will also keep the dog bone from falling in

Last edited:
just hit the stud in with a soft hammer and the retainer will slide off as it goes down
they will bend a little but you should be able to reuse them to put the dogbones into the aluminum at least long enough to get the bumper in place and get some nuts on
the retainers are there to keep the dog bone from falling in when you pop the bumpers on , even if they all break you can just push the dog bone through the support and tie a thin string between the studs at the base and that will hold it long enough to get it installed ,
on front bumper if you install the the bumper lamps before installing bumpers on the car they will also will also keep the dog bone from falling in

Great! Thank you very much.

dave