How to test fuel pump out put?

Amelio

Before I ask my questions let me give some info.......2 months ago I went to the track, the day before I was doing some basic tuning. the car kept leaning out and having knock no matter how much I increased fuel on the TT chip or regulator. I am running a Red's 340 double in tank kit (these pumps are about 10 years old and have been in 2 different cars), I figured my pump was starting to lay down.....I wired my second pump in and set the pressure switch at 10psi boom problem fixed no lean condition and no knock.

The next day at the track the car clicked off an 11.54 @116 on 19-20 psi after that it came back home and sat for a few weeks. I went to drive it and on a WOT pull I got a loud pop and the car nosed over, i noticed smoke from under the hood....turns out I broke the fuel return line. While fixing the fuel return line I also noticed a very small leak in the feed line....I ripped out the stock feed line and replaced it with -6 steel braided line and an inline filter.

now that the fuel lines are repaired I am now getting a weird popping and the car noses over real bad at 15 psi or above. I think it may be a lean pop condition best way to describe it is that it sounds like a Jake brake on a big rig but not quite as loud, my MV's are any where from low 600 to low 800 when this happens. I also notice that around 15 psi my fuel pressure is right at 60psi and as it makes the popping sound and noses over the fuel gauge is shaky. It did not seem to go past 60psi.

All grounds are good, I am also running a hot wire kit and voltage booster, volts at the pump car running is 14.2-14.5 with the booster 15.3-15.5

Now my questions:

Previous to this popping and nosing over I did feel like my primary pump was failing, if it is does it make sense that the secondary pump can not keep up?

The car runs great and pulls hard all the way up to 14-15psi once over that amount the issue occurs, has anyone else had a fuel pump fail like this?

how can I accurately test the pump pressure and check out put on both pumps?

If the pump's are failing does it make sense that some time's my mv's are low 800, shouldn't it be way lean?

Let me suggest the first item of business !

Replace those pumps... 10 years is an extremely long time to depend on a pump for a performance application.

I hope you did not pop a head gasket, but very well could have, as it probably should have. That could be what is going on at higher boost levels. I had a similar issue, but mine ended up being a cracked piston. Fortunately no other damage occurred, replaced the piston and all seems well. Got to get to the track to verify sometime. Probably November at Reynolds!

Mike

yeah I know it is a lot of time but that is not continuous use, there were long periods of down time the car was apart but still they are old.

I also thought it could be a head gasket but I am not getting any signs of that, oil is clean and a good Co2 test on the coolant.....unless the popping sound is the head lifting and compression getting out how do you verify that with out tearing the heads off?

Believe it or not 12 years of owning these cars and much abuse back when I did not know any better I have not blown a head gasket. If I do in fact have a blown gasket would the car perform like it is? It runs great up to 15psi and then after that it just falls on its face?

If the fp is rising 1:1 with boost, the pump(s) are keeping up.... fp shouldn't go over 60 psi if boost isn't over 15 psi..... sounds more like a turbo/intercooler/uppipe coupler hose relieving?? (jake brake sound?) or coil pack biting the dust?? (popping at higher boost is a typical symptom). Check the hoses/clamps REAL good.... swap a known good coil pack on there and see if that makes a difference....:wink:

I have double and triple check the intercooler hoses that is the first thing I thought it was because of the loud popping sound. Now the loud popping sound has gone away I found the main ground wire from the battery was rubbing the down pipe and was corroded. I replaced and now the loud pop is gone but anything over 15 psi the car noses over real hard and it makes a sound that I described as a Jake brake on a tractor trailer which it really is the rpm of the engine but possibly no fire .

If it is a coil pack going south does it make sense for it to only act up on 16psi or more? up to 15 psi the car pulls hard and feels great.....:confused:

If it is a coil pack going south does it make sense for it to only act up on 16psi or more? up to 15 psi the car pulls hard and feels great.....:confused:

Yes it does make sense, could be as simple as a plug or wire also. I have had a plug with a hairline crack do that. Of course it was a new plug right after I changed them. It sounds like an ignition issue that can't keep up past 15psi.

Yes, that is very typical of a weak/failing coil pack... pop! and noses over at a certain boost threshold... in my case, waaaayyy back when, it would pop/quit everytime it hit 17 psi.... took me FOREVER to figure out what the hell the problem was... (before we had great resources like this site....)

are you getting alot of knock?

The car has zero knock.....if it was a coil pack going bad should I see high mv's since there is unburned fuel in the cylinder? Some times the mv's are a bit low when it happens like mid 600's and sometimes it is right on the money mid to high 700's. Of course this happens in a fraction of a second.... since I know where it is going to fail I lift as soon as it starts to break up and nose over.

I have a known good stock coil pack I will throw on, I am currently running a Type 2 pack which is probably 8 or 9 years old.