HP Cat for 87T

Kenbo

I have a '87 T-Limited with stock downpipe. Is there a High perf. Catalytic Converter available that will pass CAlifornia Smog Test?

Any ARB approved 3-way-cat (TWC) should do. Our EGR systems are not back-pressure type, so you don't have to worry about a more free flowing exhaust causing EGR opening issues. I would be more concerned if the shop installs a universal high flow TWC, and cuts flanges out. That is what happened to me during one cat replacement. It took quite a bit of work to restore the flange to mate to my existing cat and return to a slip fit on the DP.I think I purchased one of the last two cat/exhaust brackets from the dealer, because they are no longer available from the dealer, but some vendors still have them. I currently have an ATR highflow TWC and it has passed very well for the last 2 inspections.

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. The guy at the muffler shop was talking about a universal high-flow CAT so you probably saved me some future trouble.

The universal TWC is not really the issue, but the mufflere shop needs to take the time to mount the flange to the cat and set up a slip fit for the DP. This allows your system to resemble a stock setup and if you decide to change to a jersey style DP (THDP or ATR303) then the set up will install without complications.