You can type here any text you want

Hp = Mph

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

boostedmaxPSI

Hard Member
What can I do to improve my MPH in the 1/4 mile? Currently I'm at 114. I would like to hit 119-122, what can I do without taking the heads off?

Most of you already know my combo...

PTE-51, MSD 50's, SMC Alky, RJC power plate, Walbro 307 hot wired, hooker cat back with areochamber muffs, ATR 3" down pipe, CAS v4, AFPR, and now 979 comp springs.

TIA

Frank

Lock the TC:)
40 to 45# in the front tires:)
Set toe to zero:)
Lite weight wheel bearing grease;)
More boost:D ;)
More timing :cool:

Wishful thinking??

At 3600#, the HP required to go your current mph is about 116.
To go 122 w/ the same wt, it's 510. A hundred HP w/out the heads off is a stretch!!!:eek: :eek:

Chuck,

You and UNGN were the first people that I thought of when I posted this...

At last dyno I made 433hp and 569tq on pump gas, and your right my GN weighs in at 3660 with a half a tank of gas and I'm NOT in it yet. I weigh in at a 220lbs!!!!

I guess I could start by putting my ARSE on a diet!

So, the heads need to come off then, do I stick with the factory ported irons or GN1? Everyone knows that the power is in the heads. I was wondering how far I could realistically take my GN with the stock unported heads...

Thanks for the reply.

Frank

3660!

Frank, that's strange it weighs that much!
Mine is a stage 2, t-400, 6 point bar, spare and jack, 10 gals of 118, and all the accessories are there too. It's 3680# w/ me in it.. I'm 220.

Going back to the wt you give, we're now at 550HP...
I'd look at a set of heads and some camshaft to go with.
If you have the bucks, a set of the TA's would be the way I'd go..

Also re-weigh the car...
My last post was incorrect.. NOT 116! 416!
If you have some track times, it would help to look at the various segments to see if the car is laying down for some reason....;)

Mike Price 86 GN 10.816 123.88 MPH
Never had the heads off:)
Im not sure what his car weight is:confused:

Originally posted by geno
Mike Price 86 GN 10.816 123.88 MPH
Never had the heads off:)
Im not sure what his car weight is:confused:

Geno,

Thanks! that's what I was looking for... So there is hope! And we all know how seriously Mike takes his car's weight.

I think the only difference between Mike's combo and mine is his PTE-54 and my PTE-51.

Frank

It's always nice to see someone shooting for a MPH goal instead of ET. I've always been more impressed by MPH than ET... MPH is a real measure of HP as opposed to ET which is a measure of how much you want to twist the crap out of your car on the starting line...

Not too many people MPH over 116 with stock heads but it can be done. Mike Price and Darcy Soon definately come to mind. I would say you'd have to push 28-30 lbs of boost thru your motor to do it though.

Why not do the ported heads? I put a set on my GN and picked up 4 to 5 MPH at 24 lbs of boost. My TE-44 and 009's can't keep up with the motor anymore but your PTE 51 and 50's with ported heads should get you over 120mph easy.

Now that I think about it Dan in Oregon runs low 11's at 12xmph and his heads have never been off. He does it with an LT70 and PTE frontmount.

Dan if your reading this chime in.

Frank

Dan, tell us how much boost you run... Inquiring minds want to know :D My guess is 32lbs...

Rob,

Your correct! When I spoke to Dan during TTIV he told me that he runs 32psi. Damn your good!

Frank

Re: 3660!

Originally posted by Chuck Leeper
Frank, that's strange it weighs that much!
Mine is a stage 2, t-400, 6 point bar, spare and jack, 10 gals of 118, and all the accessories are there too. It's 3680# w/ me in it.. I'm 220.

Going back to the wt you give, we're now at 550HP...
I'd look at a set of heads and some camshaft to go with.
If you have the bucks, a set of the TA's would be the way I'd go..

Also re-weigh the car...
My last post was incorrect.. NOT 116! 416!
If you have some track times, it would help to look at the various segments to see if the car is laying down for some reason....;)

Chuck,

I re-weighed the GN today at the truck scales that the State patrol use and the GN wieghs 3520 with a half a tank of gas, no spare tire, the jack was left in it's place and I still have the stock stereo system.

Thanks
Frank

I weigh to much.

The old '83 weighs in at 3740 without me and 3/4 tank of gas. With me in it we push 4K. :( Jenny Craig here I come.

Re: I weigh to much.

Originally posted by pat83t
The old '83 weighs in at 3740 without me and 3/4 tank of gas. With me in it we push 4K. :( Jenny Craig here I come.

Try using 87 octane gas! Isnt it lighter than 92 octane? J/K of course....

Back