You can type here any text you want

Huntsville, AL?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gordyzx9r

The wife & I are considering relocating to Huntsville when we retire from the military in 6 years. What's it like there? I read Huntsville is one of Forbes top 10 US cities for business. What kind of industry is there? Our kids will still be in grade school, what kind of schools are available? Any private Christian schools? Taxes? Housing? Areas to stay clear of? One big issue to me is going to be what is the overall attitude towards interacial marriages there (I'm white and she's black), I'm a little worried there is still some old time prejudice. And has anyone retired in AL that has some tips for finances pertinent to that state?

Thanks for the help, if not AL we're also looking at TN between Nashville & Chatanooga.

gordyzx9r said:
One big issue to me is going to be what is the overall attitude towards interacial marriages there (I'm white and she's black), I'm a little worried there is still some old time prejudice.

IMO Birmingham private schools are much better.

If youre worried about that,stay out of Alabama period.

broke1 said:
IMO Birmingham private schools are much better.

If youre worried about that,stay out of Alabama period.

We've lived in Enterprise for a year and half in the past. That area was nice enough, Dothan was kind of iffy. Montgomery & Troy both seemed nice, but we're also having to look at follow on jobs after we retire from the military. I don't want to be near the coast and would like to live on some high ground.

i lived about 25 mins south of there for 8 years, lake town called guntersville...
huntsville is a great city....not too big not too small
that part of alabama is beautiful...mountains, lakes, tennesee river

My family and I have lived in Huntsville for 12 years and we love it. Great 1/8 mile track also. ;)

Back