You can type here any text you want

Hydroboost Issues

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TUG_87GN

I need a little help with the Hydroboost system on my 83 T-type. The wife was driving the car last Friday and said the brake light came on then went out. I checked the car when I got home and found that when you press the pedal the brakes would engage and stop the car but you could push the peddle all the way to the floor. Is this typical of the hydroboost system? I check for leaks at all the wheels and around the master cylinder and found none. I went ahead and replaced the master cylinder just for saftey. Any input from the hydroboost masters would be welcome.

TIA

Greg

I have had mine for alittle over 2 years with no problems with the brake system. It looks like it's the orginal master cylinder, but I could be wrong.

It was a good idea to change your master cyl. More than likely that was where the problem was. While you are at it, pruge all the old fluid out. This could have helped cause the problem and/or add to it.

THT
Jim

Jim,

Is it typical on a working hydroboost system that you can push the peddle all the way to the floor?

The "Hydroboost" part of the system refers to the power assit. Otherwise, they are the same as vacuum- the pedal should never go to the floor.

My peddle was droppping to the floor while waiting at stop lights. I changed the master cylinder (without bleeding at each wheel) and good as new.

I'm not sure about the brake light coming on. That would lead me to suspect a porblem downstream of the proportioning valve. Since you have check at the wheels, I would look at the rubber line going to the middle of the rear axle.

That really sounds like a master cylinder problem. After you replace the master cylinder does it still go to the floor? If you are losing fluid and no signs of it anywhere else, chances are it is leaking out the back of the master cylinder and into the booster.

Back