You can type here any text you want

I can't get front springs in

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
Moog drop 5658's. Is there a trick to this? I tried using a coil spring tool from advance auto and the bolt is too long. Everyone I talk to tells me I should be able to set the springs in and jack up the lower arm. It looks like a three person job:one to set the spring in place, one witha huge prybar to wedge the spring in the pocket and the other to run the jack. I dont' get it. The spring is shorter but yet its still more of a pain in the ass than what my z28 camaro was:mad:

your prob doing it wrong
the ball joint stays put and the 2 bolts attaching the lower control arm to the frame is what you remove
then lower the inner part of the lca
cakewalk:wink:
i bet you only have the ball joint loose and the bolts still in
-dan

your prob doing it wrong
the ball joint stays put and the 2 bolts attaching the lower control arm to the frame is what you remove
then lower the inner part of the lca
cakewalk:wink:
i bet you only have the ball joint loose and the bolts still in
-dan

that way might work, but i'd prefer to do it with the bolts in and just the balljoint to hook up.
get the car up nice and high, swing the arm all the way down, stick the spring in the pocket, jack up right under the balljoint, stick balljoint in spindle, put on the balljoint nut and tighten it down, lower jack.

that way might work, but i'd prefer to do it with the bolts in and just the balljoint to hook up.
get the car up nice and high, swing the arm all the way down, stick the spring in the pocket, jack up right under the balljoint, stick balljoint in spindle, put on the balljoint nut and tighten it down, lower jack.

Yes I know. Like I said, the spring won't sit in the a-arm even with it swung down. It hangs down about 2 inches below. I got one of them once but the spring turned while I was trying to get it in and wasn't sitting where it was supposed to.

Dan-I think I'll try it your way when I get it home. It's worth a shot.

plus
I always use a big pry-bar to push the spring into place onto the CA. Once the coil hooks onto the CA I jack the CA up and hook up the ball joint. This is the way I’ve always done it.
I wouldn't even think of trying it with the bolts OFF the bushing and a completely loose CA.
also once you have the spring in place and before you hook up the Ball joint you can put a vise-grip pliers onto the spring then tap it with a hammer to turn the spring into proper position, but this might scratch the spring, to avoid scratching the spring I put a piece of think leather on the spring then clamp the vise-grip.
good luck and have fun.:biggrin:

I bought my compressor from advanced same one they loan out
Put the top clip as far up as u can get it and put the bottom clip on the very bottom of the
Sprig tighten it down put spring in then jack up ball joint end of the control arm
Till it hits the spring make sure the clip on bottom of spring is facing towards front and rear
Of car. Jack up till control arm is gonna hit the clip then remove the tool and finish jacking up till
U can get shock or ball joint it
I almost cut my tool down but ended up making it work. Pita. Getting tool out of spring though
But the tool will work with a little patience

I got the spring up by putting it in and rotating it. Lots of tension on the drop springs but I got it to turn with lots of grease and grunt:rolleyes: The spring isolator shifted a bit while turning it but I dont' think it will affect anything. One more to go:cool:

Back