I hate Friday the 13th - My GN has no power

Toecutter

My truck blew a wheel cylinder backing out of the drive way this morning. No problem, nice day to drive the Turbo Buick to work. I hopped in and got on the expressway. Just cruising along fine, loving life when out of nowhere the car nosed over and seems like it went into limp home mode and the check engine light came on. I was able to gently get it back up to freeway speed but any more than 1/4 throttle and the car just bucks. Got to the office and just let it sit. Went out to check it after lunch. Checked for loose connectors, lose intake hoses..etc. Turned it on to take it around the block and that was a struggle. Finally got it to idle, check engine light turned off. Pulled out on to the road and the check engine light came back on. Tried giving it gas and it just acts like it has no power. Went around the block and got it back to the office. I put it in park and I noticed that it does the same in park. I give it throttle and it just flutters, like it's on a rev limiter. You can hear the turbo fluttering. This is a bone stock 1987 Grand National with 94K miles. And when I say stock, I mean BONE stock! Even the coil packs are stock. Only new parts on it are the spark plugs and MSD wire. HELP! I would like to drive it home today.

My truck blew a wheel cylinder backing out of the drive way this morning. No problem, nice day to drive the Turbo Buick to work. I hopped in and got on the expressway. Just cruising along fine, loving life when out of nowhere the car nosed over and seems like it went into limp home mode and the check engine light came on. I was able to gently get it back up to freeway speed but any more than 1/4 throttle and the car just bucks. Got to the office and just let it sit. Went out to check it after lunch. Checked for loose connectors, lose intake hoses..etc. Turned it on to take it around the block and that was a struggle. Finally got it to idle, check engine light turned off. Pulled out on to the road and the check engine light came back on. Tried giving it gas and it just acts like it has no power. Went around the block and got it back to the office. I put it in park and I noticed that it does the same in park. I give it throttle and it just flutters, like it's on a rev limiter. You can hear the turbo fluttering. This is a bone stock 1987 Grand National with 94K miles. And when I say stock, I mean BONE stock! Even the coil packs are stock. Only new parts on it are the spark plugs and MSD wire. HELP! I would like to drive it home today.

I'm guessing no scanmaster installed? Everything will be wild guesses without it.

I'm guessing no scanmaster installed? Everything will be wild guesses without it.
No Scanmaster. Never intended to make any performance changes to the car so I haven't ordered one. But if you think that's what I need to diagnose the issue then I will order one right now. :)

You needed a scanmaster yesterday even if your car is bone stock and you drive it like a grandma :D

No Scanmaster. Never intended to make any performance changes to the car so I haven't ordered one. But if you think that's what I need to diagnose the issue then I will order one right now. :)
Yes very very handy! If you want to keep it stock you can tuck it behind the glovebox and pull it out when you wanna check on things.

Theres been a few goin up for sale!! In For sale section !!

Oh...didn't even check. Already ordered the new 2-1/16 gauge style Scanmaster from Fullthrottle. Actually I just went nuts and ordered a bunch of stuff including the Cam sensor tool. Something tells me I am going to need it. Getting some help from a buddy who has owned a few GN's including a 9 second T-Type. Like everyone else, he said "get the Scanmaster and get back to me" lol

Oh...didn't even check. Already ordered the new 2-1/16 gauge style Scanmaster from Fullthrottle. Actually I just went nuts and ordered a bunch of stuff including the Cam sensor tool. Something tells me I am going to need it. Getting some help from a buddy who has owned a few GN's including a 9 second T-Type. Like everyone else, he said "get the Scanmaster and get back to me" lol
You are getting the newest version of the Scanmaster which you will love especially if paired with a powerlogger and android cellphone. Either version new or old will tell you what you need to know.

you can retrieve the malfunction codes with a simple paper clip
bend open the clip and put the ends in the A and B port on the ALDL plug
ALDL plug is under radio on driverside and A is first pin on top passengerside B is to the left of A

the ses light will flash 1 then 2 (thats a 12) and will do it three times , then it will flash out the first number of the code and then pause and flash out the second number of the MAlfunction code and repeat that code two more times , ex after the three 12 codes it flashes 4 times then pauses and flashes twice thats 42
if after the 42 -42-42 it flashes code 12 three times than 42 is the only code stored , if there were other codes stored they would flash after the 42 codes and finish with 12 to let you know thats the end of the test

so connect A +B with clip turn on key and youll see 1-2, 1-2 , 1-2 ,..then 4-2 4-2 4-2 (or whatever code is stored that caused the check engine lamp) , then 1-2 1-2 1-2

gnttype is down but this link should help
http://vortexbuicks-etc.com/trouble_codes.htm

you can retrieve the malfunction codes with a simple paper clip
bend open the clip and put the ends in the A and B port on the ALDL plug
ALDL plug is under radio on driverside and A is first pin on top passengerside B is to the left of A

the ses light will flash 1 then 2 (thats a 12) and will do it three times , then it will flash out the first number of the code and then pause and flash out the second number of the MAlfunction code and repeat that code two more times , ex after the three 12 codes it flashes 4 times then pauses and flashes twice thats 42
if after the 42 -42-42 it flashes code 12 three times than 42 is the only code stored , if there were other codes stored they would flash after the 42 codes and finish with 12 to let you know thats the end of the test

so connect A +B with clip turn on key and youll see 1-2, 1-2 , 1-2 ,..then 4-2 4-2 4-2 (or whatever code is stored that caused the check engine lamp) , then 1-2 1-2 1-2

gnttype is down but this link should help
http://vortexbuicks-etc.com/trouble_codes.htm

Excellent info, thank you. Might as well give it a try until my parts come in.

I never race on Friday the 13th or full moons. I blew 2 head gaskets on a different car racing at the track. Once on a Friday the 13th and once on a full moon. Why tempt bad luck for a third time?

I never race on Friday the 13th or full moons. I blew 2 head gaskets on a different car racing at the track. Once on a Friday the 13th and once on a full moon. Why tempt bad luck for a third time?
There you go, proof. Well said Pronto!

The scanmaster will give you the code. My guess is the maf...

Pronto, you sir are the man. Installed a new (remanufactured) MAF today and that solved the problem. Took it out for a run and it's back to normal. Still looking forward to my new parts. Can't wait to see what the scan master tells me, I have noticed a bit of ping under full throttle so I'm sure the car is not performing as it should.

You got lucky with a reman MAF. Many times they aren't calibrated right and the engine will run funky. If you can hear "pinging" you're destroying your engine. Don't go full throttle until you figure it out. The Scanmaster will show you the knock so you may be getting knock earlier than you think.

There was an electronics company in Canada that remanned the MAF to exact specs and I think that i still have the box that mine was shipped in. It is still the original MAF that came on the car. I will check once I get home.

There was an electronics company in Canada that remanned the MAF to exact specs and I think that i still have the box that mine was shipped in. It is still the original MAF that came on the car. I will check once I get home.

Cool, I kept the one from the car. O'Reilly's gladly charged me $30 for the core. What a difference the new MAF has made. The car is running a lot better now. I got on it a bit last night chasing my kid in his turbo LS Camaro and my GN broke the tires loose for about 10ft when it hit 2nd gear. It has never done that before. My son thinks it's hilarious and he loves messing with me when we are out cruising together. Think I am going to start some modding and give him a little what for. :D

If you keep "getting on it" with the engine pinging you will not have to worry about keeping up with the kid.

If you keep "getting on it" with the engine pinging you will not have to worry about keeping up with the kid.

Yeah, I remembered that afterwards. But it didn't ping at all this time. I had the radio and the AC off to make sure. But I know that damage happens even if you can't hear it. Car is back in the garage covered up waiting on the Scanmaster-G (sounds like a rappers name) and some other goodies. :)