You can type here any text you want

IAC Bad or Normal? Resetting IAC?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hardway

I pulled my IAC out to clean it off and was wondering if I should be able to move the plunger a little in and out? If I hold it in my hand and push down on it with my thumb it feels like it moves about 1/32nd or so. The car has almost 200K miles on it and I am betting it is the original so just to be safe I may pick up a new one. What do you think?

I read on the GNX site on how to reset your IAC using a scan tool but is there a way you reset a IAC without a scan tool?

Yes, it is has a very rough idle to it right now. I am planning to replace all the vaccum lines, the PCV valve (see my post), and IAC if I need it. I have already put new MSD wires on it, NGK TR5 plugs, new AC Delco O2 sensor, and a new transmission mount. So far, no improvement in idleing. I am hoping to see an imporvement with all vac. lines and IAC.

A scantool would be very wise to get when you can afford one. It makes finding problems easier....trust me:redface: Mine idles fine even with the IAC at zero:mad:!!! But with that kinda mileage its probably the vacuum lines.HTH Oh yeah do a little research and make sure you find the right size hoses when replacing...don't ask how I know that!!

Same here kma...my TTA went from 150+ to 10 and now to zero. The funny thing is, it runs better at 0 than at 10.

Jason

Sounds like a scan tool is going to be the next tool on my list. The correct size hose for the majority of the car seems to be 7/32. Almost all of mind still says GM on it and even has 7/32 printed on it.

Sounds like a scan tool is going to be the next tool on my list. The correct size hose for the majority of the car seems to be 7/32. Almost all of mind still says GM on it and even has 7/32 printed on it.

If you have originals they are definitely ready to be changed....you will notice a big difference.:smile:

A while ago I tried getting input on testing the IAC. No one could tell me anything so I had to rely on scan numbers. Neither car could get down past 40. When I chaned them for brand new IAC's both cars immediately dropped into the proper numbers and the idel smoothed out nicely. BTW, you'll need to play with the TPS in tandem with IAC. Not as hard as people make it seem. Best price for a new IAC I found was at Postons... FWIW..:)

Good Luck

Back