Idea: Custom Dual Hiem jointed control arms

karolko

I know that stuff like this has been done before, but i have been thinking that it would be benificial in many ways to have a steup with Dual hiem on both the pper and lower arms.

1) you can move your axle slightly back to fit 30" tires in much easier!
2) Hiems have infinite movement directions, compared to traditional rubber inserts.
3) weight savings if you use aluminum

I am planning on building my own ford 9" housing so i the ears on the top of the pumpkin can be anything i want.

What do you guys think about this idea???

Laz,

How did you build your setup? What size hiem's are you using? Aluminum or mild steel? How did you fab up you upper control arms on the 9"?

Do you happen to have pictures?

Is it race only or street driven? That will make your decision for you. Let me know and I will explain why would or would not run them.

Thanks
Coach

Laz,

How did you build your setup? What size hiem's are you using? Aluminum or mild steel? How did you fab up you upper control arms on the 9"?

Do you happen to have pictures?

5/8" Heims bushed for the stock size bolt.
I emailed you a few pics.

My vehicle is mainly going to be driven on the street, but it is not a dialy driver, So tell me why Hiems are not good for street driving?

I'm sure it's somthing to do with ride harshness and amplifyed road noise transmission into the passenger compartment.

Heim ends are steel to steel contact. Keeping them lubed is a pain and wear is unavoidable. That is the reason they make the poly ends also used on some ladder bar set-ups. A ladder bar suspension does not move nearly as much as our suspensions do. Travel is limited to about 3-3 1/2 inches on most because that is all the coil over shocks travel. Whenever you run something steel to steel, you have the chance of outright breakage also. If you want to check them every couple of hundred miles to see how they are wearing you might be happy. If it were the way to go, most aftermarket arms would be offered in both types of ends, poly and swivel heim. I am only judging this after building several Pro Street cars in the 80's and 90's and a few drag cars also. The fell of the car would also be different, but not untolerable. Some of us know we have to sacrifice comfort for performance and we are OK with that. Some are not. Get a few more opinions from actual chassis builders and compare answers. Racecar only, I would say yes, street car, maybe.

Just an opinion and a few things to think about.
Coach

You raise alot of good points, and enough of them are to convince me NOT to build my own.

I guess i should be thanking you for saving me alot of work.

Adrian

I never want to see anyone expierence problems with anything. I have been there and done that , so to say. I really don't like safety issues. I knew a guy who raced for years and had a heim end break on a Vega drag car. The ladder bar dropped down and dug into the track at about 100 mph and he went end over end 4 times. He has never went back to a track since. Do some more homework like I said and talk with some chassis builders. If anyone would know about newer technology, it would be them.

Thanks
Coach