You can type here any text you want

Idea.....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Freddie's Buick

Hell No! I'm not a junior
Here's what I am gathering with my modified '81 V-6 N/A at the lower RPM's.

1) This baby sucks at lower RPM's....why? Because of the low torque the engine puts out at low rpm's. (I'm assuming that that is why a turbo makes more sense on these engines). A better cam slightly helps, headers help more.

2) A dramatic improvement would come in the form of a three-way combo: Better cam, headers and a higher stall converter. (I already have a better cam installed. The headers are pending, and the converter is on my grocery list.)

3) My THM350-C is a three speed automatic. 1st gear kicks in at about 15 mph. 2nd gear at about 20-25 mph, the converter locks up at about 35 mph, and third gear kicks in at about 55 mph.

4) The problem seems to begin after first gear, (15 mph, it's all crap from there on until the converter locks up at about 35-40 mph and unlocks at about 50-55). My power curve seems to lie within the TC lock-up stage.

With my limited reading, B&M's clutch converter switch locks up the converter from 1st gear on up. I like this idea on my set-up. I am going to look into it further. Comments, opinions, lectures welcomed......:rolleyes:

I don't think you need the B&M thing. A paperclip will do the same. The TCC is controlled by grounding the circuit. The circuit always has power (except when the brake is applied) and the ECM grounds it when needed. On the ALDL there is a pin that is the part of this ground circuit (it's F or the top, left for the '82-up connector, not sure about '81). I have a light connected to ignition power and to this pin's wire for ground. The light goes on whenever the ECM tell the TCC to engage. I can also ground this pin/wire and force the TCC to engage at all times.

I think the 200-4R won't engage in 1st, but the 350C will.

On the '81 there is a place on the fuse box that indicates the TCC test light source. According to my manual this is were one has to place the test light. Click Link.

http://members.telocity.com/~familiadiaz/Fusebox.jpg

With the transmission in Drive and the rear wheels on jackstands, the light should go on at 25 mph. The light should also stay on until one reaches 50-55 mph. At this point the light should shut off. Also, if one applies the brake the light should shut off. The light being off indicates the converter is dis-engaged.

The OTC is showing my TCC engaging at 35 mph. So there is a problem.....my ECM is signaling the TCC late by at least 10 mph...:eek:... I think I might have to adjust the TPS to a differant voltage other then the one suggested in the manual.

Any Ideas Rich? :confused:

Back