You can type here any text you want

Idler pulley hitting AC - solution

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GMC-YA

I've been running a 1600mm belt that I found in advance and its been working great, plenty of clearence. But thats not what I'm posting about.

Friday my compressor locks up on me, so I go to the parts store and have them order me a reman. Well of course its wrong, it has the V belt pulley on it. So I get them to pull me one from a 89 TA with a 350. Its the same, except for one thing. It doesnt have the huge extra lip on it like my original did. You know the part that hits the idler pulley. If your looking at it from the front this one is only as big as the clutch, it doesnt have that extra 1/4 to 1/2 lip sticking out. When I went to install the compressor I had the idler pulley all the way down and there was plenty of room with no belt on and lots with the belt on. I'm sure I'm not the first one to see this but I've never seen it posted. The only difference was the dual prong plug at the bottom is clocked at the 3 clock position and come close to the alternater bracket but it does fit! I'm sure the only reason its smaller is because its a reman and not orginal GM. I have no idea if the factory GM one from the 89 TA with the 350 is smaller originally or its just these reman ones. Ok so my point is if yours go bad you can go to the parts store now and get the right one. 89 TA with 350 TPI

Hope this helps someone
Chris

Yes, I too had to replace my Compressor last month and it was a pleasant surprise to find out that I won't have to worry about my tension pulley hitting my Compressor pulley anymore.

James

It's a reman. one, sounds like it is just like yours. The connectors on the back are clocked a little different than my factory one. I got it at a local parts store called "Ohio Auto Supply", I first went to Advanced Auto but every one that they looked up had the single V-belt pulley.

Back