You can type here any text you want

If you buy a car out of state......

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

excobraguy

All,

I wanted to give a heads up that if you are buying a car out of state and are debating on using a transport company to ship it back, consider this........
I made the mistake of selecting North American Auto Transport when I bought my 87 GN. They were the absolute worst choice I could have made!!! It got so bad that they lost my car and I thought it had been stolen. I bought the car in New Jersey and had it shipped to Missouri........here are day by day detailed accounts of the events as they happened on my car........Stay away!

Subject: You be the Judge
Review: 5/23/07 – Contacted NAAT about picking my car up and shipping it. Spoke with Stephanie at extension 17. She said the car would be picked up Thursday 5/24/07. They also charge a $50 “expedited” pickup fee since it would be picked up within 1 day.

5/24/07 – Car was not picked up, the owner, Scott waited and waited, no one ever picked it up. I called Stephanie who proceeded to tell me the driver was stuck in traffic. Then she said he was on Scott’s road and would be there within minutes. The driver never showed up.

5/25/07 – Called Stephanie and asked when the car is being picked up, she said it would definitely be between 9-11 am. Again Scott the owner waited, no one ever showed up. Again there were excuses about traffic and so on. Finally at 6:00 pm a driver from Commack towing arrived with a pickup truck already loaded on his tow truck. He told Scott the owner that the car was too nice to “pull” behind his truck so he would not take it with him. Monday 5/28/07 was a holiday so it would be Tuesday before the car was picked up.

5/29/07 – Called Stephanie, told her I wanted to cancel my request for delivering the car and that I had bought a plane ticket and would just fly out and pick my car up. She talked and talked about how sorry they were and how they would pick the car up that day and take the $50 expedited charge off. She also stated that they would guarantee delivery by Sunday 06/02/07. I said are you sure that you can make the delivery by Sunday 6/2/07? She said “yes, I have nothing to hide”. I then asked for the driver’s name and phone number of who would be delivering my car, she said she would get that for me and email it to me. I never received the email. I called back and asked her where the email was and also when would the car be picked up? She said it would be between 2:00 and 4:00 pm, Scott again waited and no one ever showed up. Finally at 7:10 pm a Commack towing driver showed up with a tow truck to take the car. I had just called Scott and told him that if they weren’t there by 7:30 to not let them take the car.

5/30/07 – I called Stephanie and asked if she had the driver phone number yet, excuses again about why she didn’t have it. Was transferred to Cara who in turn told me they weren’t allowed to give out the driver’s numbers.

5/31/07 – I called Commack towing to ask if the car had been placed on a carrier truck for delivery. They guy said “yeah, it left out of here yesterday”. I then asked for a copy of the bill of lading and the guy went off on me telling me he didn’t have the give me **** and to not call back.

6/1/07 – Called NAAT and demanded to talk with someone in charge. I got Tina on the phone who assured me the car was in transit and “somewhere” around Pennsylvania and should be there by Sunday. I asked her for the drivers phone number. She said that she worked Saturday morning and for me to call her back then and she would give it to me.

6/2/07 – Called NAAT, no one answered. Left Tina a voicemail to contact me back with the driver’s information. No one ever called back.

6/4/07 – Called Tina and demanded to know where my car was and what was going on with it. Was transferred to many different people or told that Tina was busy on conference calls.
I contacted the New York police department and told them I believed there was an attempt being made to steal my car. It is a collector car and I sincerely believed it was in the process of being stolen as no one from NAAT could tell me where it was or when it would be delivered. Officer Cooper called NAAT and then called me back she said Tina told her that the car just left Saturday morning (6/2/07) and would be at my house by Friday 6/8/07. She said to call her back if the car didn’t make it.

6/5/07 – I called and asked if they had any updates on the location of the car or driver information, nothing they gave me the run around again.

6/6/07 – I decided to not call as I was sick of this crap.

6/7/07 – Called and talked to Cara who guaranteed me that the car would be delivered Friday morning and that everything was “on schedule”, she even pretended to look at the schedule and paused for a minute and then said “yep, all on schedule, you should be hearing from the driver anytime to schedule delivery”.

6/8/07 – Friday morning 10:00 a.m., nothing. Called Cara and asked what was going on, she said she would check and call me after their driver’s “12:30 check in”. 2:00 p.m I called back and asked what was going on. Cara said that the truck had broken down in Mayfield Kentucky and the delivery would be delayed until Monday 6/11/07. I wasn’t going to accept this. I told them that Mayfield Kentucky was only 180 miles from my house and that I could pick the car up. She said she would check and would call me back. I called back and got Christine who told me they just couldn’t work that way, and that I could not pick the car up myself. I asked why and she gave some BS answer about it was scheduled for door to door service. I drove to Mayfield Kentucky and contacted the local police there. We searched for the car and the truck, nothing was found.

6/9/07 – Called NAAT 6 times, no one answered or called me back.

6/11/07 – Called NAAT and was told that the car would be delivered today, this evening sometime. They provided me with the phone number of the driver, finally after all this time I had a number other than theirs! 479-641-2260 is Webster Services out of Arkansas. This is the company that they hired to transport my car from New York to Missouri, a company out of Arkansas. I called the number and spoke with a gentleman who proceeded to tell me that they had just loaded the car and it would be delivered Wed evening or most likely Thursday Morning. I said, “oh there must be some mistake, It’s being delivered tonight, right?” He said “no buddy, we just loaded the car today in New Jersey”. I said “Oh, OK so it will be delivered this week though for sure?” He said “Yes, will be this week”. I said thank you and hung up.

6/12/07 – Called Webster Services to check on delivery of the car. He said most likely will be Thursday. Called Webster back, got number for the actual driver. He is in Baltimore Maryland, said the delivery would be Friday or Saturday.

6/14/07 – Driver called back, said delivery could be made tonight after all. Car was delivered

Here are other reviews about their company:
reviews of NAAT

I've purchased two GN's out of state. One from California and one from West Virginia. I had both shipped to Dallas, Texas by Dependable Auto Shippers. Now I can't say either experience was "perfect", although they did get the cars to me within the time period promised and in good condition.

And that's why I only buy cars and go pick them up in person :)

Bought my 85 Silverado in Kentucky, drove up there with a trailer behind my yukon (I knew the motor was tired when I bought it so I figured I wouldn't even risk it, I shouldn't have worried, I got it home and put 3 times more miles on it than the drive home was, before I dropped the badass 400 into it).

Bought my 87 GN in Virginia, 600 miles there, looked it over, paid, 600 miles back, most of it in pouring rain, wife behind me in the Yukon making sure I didn't break down.

Bought my 91 Galant in Mississippi, 200 miles there, 200 back, no problems (ECU blew up 3 days later, hello leaking capacitors!).

In short, I only buy it if I can go get it myself, else I pass, I don't trust shippers, and I don't trust sellers enough to buy site-unseen.

Transport Brokers..

You were likely dealing with a transport broker, and in general - they are the worst, shadiest companies you will ever encounter.

They basically quote the customer a price and then work the phones to find a car hauler (or multiple haulers) that will work within their budget. This means that at any given time, your car may be on a truck, sitting in a tow yard, being driven around by a lot boy, or loaded/unloaded off a few different trucks before it arrives. The broker will have NO idea about where your car is or when it will arrive. Ever see the movie "Planes Trains and Automobiles"? If so, imagine your car is Steve Martin, trying to get to it's destination in any way possible....

Your experiences were 100% typical of these companies. When working with a car transport, you ALWAYS need to ask if they are a broker or operator. In general, stay far, far away from brokers.

Next time, select an owner/operator car hauler like Intercity, Horseless Carriage or Passport (now a division of Fedex)

These companies cost more (probably about $1500 for an east coast to midwest haul) but your car will go in a SPOTLESS enclosed car trailer, be loaded and hauled by a true pro, and they will be on-time.

Glad you ultimately got your car, sorry about all the anxiety you had to endure.

You were likely dealing with a transport broker, and in general - they are the worst, shadiest companies you will ever encounter.

They basically quote the customer a price and then work the phones to find a car hauler (or multiple haulers) that will work within their budget. This means that at any given time, your car may be on a truck, sitting in a tow yard, being driven around by a lot boy, or loaded/unloaded off a few different trucks before it arrives. The broker will have NO idea about where your car is or when it will arrive. Ever see the movie "Planes Trains and Automobiles"? If so, imagine your car is Steve Martin, trying to get to it's destination in any way possible....

Your experiences were 100% typical of these companies. When working with a car transport, you ALWAYS need to ask if they are a broker or operator. In general, stay far, far away from brokers.

Next time, select an owner/operator car hauler like Intercity, Horseless Carriage or Passport (now a division of Fedex)

These companies cost more (probably about $1500 for an east coast to midwest haul) but your car will go in a SPOTLESS enclosed car trailer, be loaded and hauled by a true pro, and they will be on-time.

Glad you ultimately got your car, sorry about all the anxiety you had to endure.

Yep, they were a broker and I even asked them if they owned their own trucks before I decided on using them. They of course told me, "Yes...we own our own trucks". North American Auto Transport tells their cusomters anything just to get their business.

I later found out why it took so long for my car. They had the original quote of $880+50 for expedited service to eqaul $930. I had to pay them a deposit of $225 leaving $705 for the actual trucking company........well what I found out is that they put my car out for bid at the price of $655, they still kept the expedited fee after telling me they weren't going to! So where a trucking company should have seen my car to be shipped for $705, NAAT put it out at $655!!!!!!! So if you were a delivery company and you saw a car delivery to pay you $655 or $705, which would you pick up first, the $705 one because it pays you more! And they guy that delivered it said that they had shipped it from Amity Harbor to some towing company storage lot near the Bronx! He said he was afraid to go get the car because of the location. Fortunately, the car arrived damage free and I still had the parts in the truck safe and sound. Never never never use North American Auto Transport...........as for my anxiety level, I have never had such a horrible experience in my life...ever.

.......... Your experiences were 100% typical of these companies. When working with a car transport, you ALWAYS need to ask if they are a broker or operator. In general, stay far, far away from brokers. ..........
Correct. Had a very simialr experience with DAS.

And that's why I only buy cars and go pick them up in person :) ........ In short, I only buy it if I can go get it myself, else I pass, I don't trust shippers, and I don't trust sellers enough to buy site-unseen.
X2!

Man, what a horrible experience.....but I am glad that the car did finally get there and was in the same condition that it left. I just bought my car out of Penn. in late may and had it shipped with DAS (about the same time yours was supposed to be shipped). I will say that at least DAS never lied to me and that I could track the car via the phone and internet (which I did 25 times per day each). They promised me a 2 week delivery time and it sat for 8 days where the previous owner dropped it off, so I called and got it expidited. It was still late, but I got my extra fee credited. I also had to pick the car up in Dallas instead of Oklahoma City as planned because they cut it too short before my vacation. Im curious if anyone knows...but is DAS a broker?? From everyones description of the brokers it doesnt sound like DAS is in the same boat. All the trucks are DAS, I picked it up at a DAS station, etc. Maybe someone could inform me.

Had a similar experience with my TA....paid first to get a "discount". Then told the car would be picked up, and a week later it still wasn't picked up, to make a long story short bought a one way ticket to California from Louisiana and drove 1900 miles in 2 days to get it back home. Thank God it made it home in one piece!! Just bought a Mustang and drove with the wife and kid down to Fl. (14hrs) picked the car up and made a vacation out of it, PS car made it 800miles without a problem!! Car transport companies are hit and miss at best.

Back