You can type here any text you want

Ignition issue...ideas please....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Amelio

Hey guys I am starting to have an ignition problem and I am trying to diagnose properly, here is what I have done and tested...please let me know your thoughts maybe I have missed something....

Also what Part# or year vehicle is used for the Type II coil packs and modules?

Here we go, a few weeks back the car would miss every so often while cruising...it started to get worse the next few days until it was really bad and then stalled. This happen in an intersection which made it fun, it would sometimes restart but run very rough and only for a few seconds. Got it towed to the house, after a few hours of being cooled of it started up and ran good for 15 min then same problem. It seemed that it would be fine when cool but as soon as it got some temp it would break up and back fire.

This is what I have done and ruled out.....

I have verified my MAF, crank sensor and fuel pressure is good, the car also has brand new plugs and good wires. I took off my Type II coil and put a stock coil and module on it no change.

I went back to my type II coil and took it appart, found some moisture between the coil packs and the module ....I cleaned it and put it back on.....after that the car ran fine....drove it today with no problems. The car is starting to act up again this time it misses every now an then like it did in the very beginning.

I think it is a bad ignition module not to mention the spare stock module I put on is bad too.

All thoughts and ideas are welcome!

I would take the 2 ignition modules you have to autozone or advance auto parts and have them test them to see if they are good,other auto parts stores may be able to do the tests also but i know these 2 do.

John :smile:

How did you check the crank sensor? Oscilloscope? A visual test is not going to show the signal.

I did not know Advance or Autozone tested modules...thanks!

The Crank sensor is new, I had just made sure it was not contacting the reluctor wheel...you are correct an oscilloscope is the best way...the only reason I feel it is not the crank sensor is in my experience I have not had one be effected by heat which the problem seems to occur after the car is hot. Either way it could still be ...I will check the crank sensor today and get the module tested.

Just in case it is bad does anyone know the part number or year make and module the Type II coil packs come from. It appears to be the same as the one on my '99 GTP and most all other GM engines in that year range.

Amelio,
The type 2 coils came on some early FWD BOP V6 motors. But this is not the solution to your issue. I have unknowingly replaced bad used parts with bad used parts so this is possible. I would check voltage to the fuel pump when this occurs. Second although not likely check the cam sensor.

Here is a link to a very good website with good troubleshooting tips and other helpfull information.

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/

The next time it shuts off and won't restart follow the no start tree on that site and it should help you pinpoint the component that is causing the problem.

Also the short cut by Jim Testa on the first page of troubleshooting is worth noting.

We all can guess at what it is over the net but it's better to have a guide to go by that you can follow and cut down on lost time.

Hey Guys thanks for the ideas......I found the problem yesterday.

I started to dig into the harness and found a broken ground....as I was repairing the broken ground I also found another problem....the large pole on the starter solenoid was broken and the starter wire was arcing inside the solenoid.
I fixed the ground and put a new starter on and the car is running great other than a smoking issue which I will start a new thread. I was having two problems at the same time and one down and one to go....

Thanks again!

Hey Guys thanks for the ideas......I found the problem yesterday.

I started to dig into the harness and found a broken ground....as I was repairing the broken ground I also found another problem....the large pole on the starter solenoid was broken and the starter wire was arcing inside the solenoid.
I fixed the ground and put a new starter on and the car is running great other than a smoking issue which I will start a new thread. I was having two problems at the same time and one down and one to go....

Thanks again!

Wow! now that's something different.

You just never know what you're going to run into with 20+ year old cars.

Glad you got that part fixed anyway.

Wow! now that's something different.

You just never know what you're going to run into with 20+ year old cars.

Glad you got that part fixed anyway.

This is my 3rd GN since owning my 1st in 1998 and I swear I always learn something new and find new problems .....just when I think I have it figured out this car sends me a curve....lol

Back