You can type here any text you want

Igniton System ??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bruce

Rest In Peace
What are guys running for ignition systems on the Stage IIs?.

ie Are they all Distributor systems, or DIS, and what components are they using with each?.

TIA

although the stock system is powerful, a bunch of the guys are running distributer systems, simple and works, i am not sure of the number of guys running what, but i hope that helps.
Grant

I was running the MSD/DIS system on the race car until the DIS system developed a problem in BG this year. Turns out their were several DIS systems that took a dump in BG. MSD has some issues with that system. We ended up going back to the stock Buick ignition system. I have heard some folks say the stock ignition is marginal once you get into the 10's - this is bull - my car has been 7.70's on the STOCK ignition. Anyway, we are planning on going to a regular distributor system with an MSD 7AL box as it will eliminate any ignition drop outs and is supposed to be worth several more HP.

Bruce, you'd be tickled to know that I'm running the stock ignition system. I'm also running the stock ECM (hi impedance mod) with 96 PPH injectors. MAF Trans, 3.5 MAF. This with a 9:1 CR 274 Stage II with Stage II heads, T-76 Q-trim. Works like a charm. Runs VERY strong, idles extremely well, runs cool. ...and they said it couldn't be done.

Actually passed the CA Smog Test-only sniffer (with a cat.)

Originally posted by Bent6
I was running the MSD/DIS system on the race car until the DIS system developed a problem in BG this year. Turns out their were several DIS systems that took a dump in BG. MSD has some issues with that system. We ended up going back to the stock Buick ignition system. I have heard some folks say the stock ignition is marginal once you get into the 10's - this is bull - my car has been 7.70's on the STOCK ignition. Anyway, we are planning on going to a regular distributor system with an MSD 7AL box as it will eliminate any ignition drop outs and is supposed to be worth several more HP.

7.70s, who'da thought.
Thanks

Originally posted by Mac in SD
Bruce, you'd be tickled to know that I'm running the stock ignition system. I'm also running the stock ECM (hi impedance mod) with 96 PPH injectors. MAF Trans, 3.5 MAF. This with a 9:1 CR 274 Stage II with Stage II heads, T-76 Q-trim. Works like a charm. Runs VERY strong, idles extremely well, runs cool. ...and they said it couldn't be done.

Actually passed the CA Smog Test-only sniffer (with a cat.)

Yep, consider me tickled.
Impressive.

Anyone try the coil on plug set up yet?

Like the LS1s use? Might be interesting.

I had it on good authority that using that set up was worth about 1000 rpms on the same motor.

Originally posted by Reggie West
Anyone try the coil on plug set up yet?
Like the LS1s use? Might be interesting.
I had it on good authority that using that set up was worth about 1000 rpms on the same motor.

I'd run it for, hmm, 2-3 years.
Never had an ignition related problem.

In one series of tests I was able to completely remove the side electrode, and still run 18 PSI of boost.

Originally posted by bruce
7.70s, who'da thought.
Thanks

I'm not suggesting this is the best ignition to go 7s - but - just goes to show that it aint as bad as a lot of people say it is as long as you have a good strong coil pack and ignition control module;)

distributor

I know where there is a new MSD billit aluminum dist. for a Buick V-6 even fire. Anyone interested?

Back