Ignorant question for those bypassing the pressure switch on shurflo pumps...

yellow95

Go Dawgs
Isnt there a danger of burning the pump out? I use an m4 nozzle (mcmaster carr) and it flows nowhere near the capacity of the pump. just seems like that would burn the pump up, or at least blow the seals.

Gary

I won't do it. I'm having a hard enough time dealing with pump leaks as it is.

Originally posted by yellow95
Isnt there a danger of burning the pump out? I use an m4 nozzle (mcmaster carr) and it flows nowhere near the capacity of the pump. just seems like that would burn the pump up, or at least blow the seals.

Gary

The smaller the nozzle the higher the current the pump will draw. The higher current you run the pump at, the shorter its life. It would be easier to simply increase nozzle size to increase flow at a lower pressure level. Lowering pressure will reduce its current draw and at the end provide the same amount of fluid into the motor.

I would re-install the pressure switch and let the pump do its job especially when 12 volts is directly applied.

See the issue of having the pump pulse on/off/on is the reason the switch is bypassed.. but in reality, it offers no detriment in performance.

Look at the DIY kit recipe. Use a larger nozzle..let the pump pulse..people have been doing that for years and no pump failures.

Pump will at 60-70 PSI run a very very long time. At 150+ PSI continuos.. and over twice the current.. you bet its not wise.

If your concerend about atomization becuase you use water, go the multiple aquamist nozzle route, and bring the pressure down on the system. The pump will than you for it.

Last benefit, you'll tax the electrical system on the car a few amps less that may be needed at WOT for other things like fuel pumps, ignition, etc..