Igntion/Key Gets Stuck When I Shut Off Car

gordyzx9r

After I put the car in park and shut off the engine, I can't turn the ignition off all the way enough to remove my key. To get my key out, I have to turn the ignition enough to cycle the shifter back to first gear then back into park. It's irritating me. What could it be?

There is a spacer on the driver side of your transmission case that holds the shift cable to the housing. Check to see if that is missing or coming loose.

Mine started inching out slowly and I had the same problems. Had to bend it to make it tighter and refit it.

Grab the column and rotate it counter-clockwise to get the key to turn all the way back. You need to adjust the linkage underneath. There's a rod connected to the trans linkage.

Jim

I had the same problem. I had to replace the shifter cable. Mine got to the point where in "park" the car would be in reverse. I picked up a new cable from Advanced Auto for less than $30.

So it's either adjust the linkage &/or replace the shift cable then. How difficult is that? I can do scheduled maintenance easy enough, but with everything else I'm not so great unless I have detailed instructions to follow. Would I be better off taking it in to have done?

If the linkage/cable isn't broken then it should be very easy to take care of yourself.

Just take a look at the linkage. There is a bracket and a spacer that holds the linkage in place on the driver side of the transmission case. If the linkage is just floating in the air then it came loose from the bracket/spacer. If it is in place and the spacer is about to come out push the spacer back in. Or remove it and bend it so it will fit tighter when you put it back in.

If you see none of the above let us know.

I have the same exact problem. The key about few weeks ago wouldnt come out, so I just left it in there and I was able to still start the car fine and drive normally. So I thought nothing of it. Til one night I came home and the next day it wouldnt allow me to turn the key all way to start the car, so its sat since. I just read the above info and didnt see anything like that under the car I dont think, so I'm still stumped??? More help or thoughts would be great, thanx!

Don-
:cool:

To get the key out try what turbojimmy mentioned. If that works then you may need to adjust or replace the linkage. Anyone else want to chime in?

When he says rotate the column , the steering column correct?? Just making sure. Thanx

Don-

The steering wheel will only turn a half a turn or so then its really tough and wont go any further, I dont wanna break anything? Mind you I cannot get the car started so I dont know if that affects anything. Still stumped...
:mad:

Did you try turning the steering wheel or steering column? The column should rotate counter-clockwise and clockwise. During that rotation either way you should feel it going into different gears like that of the console shifter. (or as it would if it were a column shifter)

just so happens...........

there is a rod underneath the steering column that if you pull it towards the steering wheel with the key in the run position it will actuate the switch below the column and start the car. I had to do this until I replaced the lock assembly (15 bucks or so at dealer). Not to tough a job except getting the steering wheel back on I borrowed the mechanics tool at the dealer (nice guy) to compress the spring to get the steering wheel back on, other wise you'll need a gorila to push on the spring to bolt the steering wheel back on.

Re: just so happens...........

Originally posted by spooky
there is a rod underneath the steering column that if you pull it towards the steering wheel with the key in the run position it will actuate the switch below the column and start the car. I had to do this until I replaced the lock assembly (15 bucks or so at dealer). Not to tough a job except getting the steering wheel back on I borrowed the mechanics tool at the dealer (nice guy) to compress the spring to get the steering wheel back on, other wise you'll need a gorila to push on the spring to bolt the steering wheel back on.

I just went through this.

Usually if the lock works and feels fine but you're having trouble getting the key out or cranking it's the linkage between the trans and steering column. The shifter operates a cable which operates a lever on the trans which in turn operates a rod that turns a collar on the steering column. This collar provides ignition lock function so you can't shut the key off or crank when it thinks the car is in gear. There is a physical lock that prevents you from removing the key and an electrical lock that prevents you from cranking (though you can still turn the key to the crank position). If you turn the column counter-clockwise you are turning it toward the "Park" position which should allow you to remove the key. If the car won't crank, it probably thinks it's in reverse (one step off of park) so again, turn it counter-clockwise. This applies only if you can turn the key to the crank position but the starter isn't getting any juice.

Now, if you can't actually turn the key to the crank position it's probably the lock cylinder itself which gets replaced as described above. If you own any number of '80s-early 90's GMs, the lock-plate compression tool is a good investment at around $15-20.

Jim

Got it fixed!! Friend of the family came over last night and tonight and got it finished. Ended up taking off the steering wheel and rotating it and it now would crank fully now.

Don-

I let you know how it works out with my car when I get back. I'm in Chicago for the weekend.

Well...after a few hours of going WTF with a Chilton's manual I gave in and took it to a dealership. It was the Column Bowl Rod. I also had the TA Performance Rear End Girdle & Cap Studs installed there since I didn't have the correct torque wrenches...and I also had the HFC 134 conversion since I can't find anymore R-12 around here. Gawd that was expensive...but at least it was done right.