You can type here any text you want

I'm back - axle seal?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87-WE2

Back in business!!
Finished up putting the driver side back together. Whew! Now that I have done it, I'll finished everything on passenger side tomorrow night.

But I noticed something. I thought I had a leaky wheel cylinder because there was fluid all over the inside of the drum when I took it off. I left it overnight with the brake line to the wheel cylinder detached. The brake line was wrapped in plastic.

I get to the car after work today & under where the rear wheel is, there's a puddle of oil. It's clear. At first I though it was brake fluid from the brake line, but the brake line was nowhere near where the puddle of oil was. I can feel that its coming from the hub, right where it goes into the rear end housing. Would this be a bad axle seal? I smelled the fluid and it didn't stink real bad like I thought the rear end oil would. To be honest, I didn't even think the gear oil in the rear end went down the axle housings down to where the hubs are. Am I right on this, or do I still not know what I'm talking about?

It very common for our cars to have leaky axle seals. Typically its the pass side first.

Finished up putting the driver side back together. Whew! Now that I have done it, I'll finished everything on passenger side tomorrow night.

But I noticed something. I thought I had a leaky wheel cylinder because there was fluid all over the inside of the drum when I took it off. I left it overnight with the brake line to the wheel cylinder detached. The brake line was wrapped in plastic.

I get to the car after work today & under where the rear wheel is, there's a puddle of oil. It's clear. At first I though it was brake fluid from the brake line, but the brake line was nowhere near where the puddle of oil was. I can feel that its coming from the hub, right where it goes into the rear end housing. Would this be a bad axle seal? I smelled the fluid and it didn't stink real bad like I thought the rear end oil would. To be honest, I didn't even think the gear oil in the rear end went down the axle housings down to where the hubs are. Am I right on this, or do I still not know what I'm talking about?

It could definitely be the axle seal, but just to be sure check out the fluid on the floor better.

The difference in thickness between brake fluid and gear oil is HUGE, rub it between your fingers brake fluid will feel as thin as water, gear oil is much thicker than motor oil so you should be able to tell immediately which you are leaking.

Agreed. Make sure to wash up after testing because if you touch a painted surface you will find out if it is brake fluid or not. :)

I'm positive it's not brake fluid. It doesn't seem to be as thick as 90w gear oil or whatever is supposed to be used, but I'm sure it's not brake fluid. There was nowhere for the brake fluid to have come from. There was no wheel cylinder on the backing plate, and the brake line on that side was WELL wrapped in plastic.

I don't know why, but for some reason I didn't think gear oil went all the way down the rear end housing to the hub. I consider myself now schooled.

I know better than to try to tackle that job myself. Going to be looking for a shop in houston to do the axle seals now.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Back