You can type here any text you want

I'm cloning and need some guidance

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BADAZZV6

Slippery When Boosted
84 NA regal cloning to 82 TRSC.
I swapped the ECM and harness from 84 to the 82. Inside the car I plugged in the 82 ECM and the Map. What does the other black connector go to? It's been two years since I stripped the 82 and just cannot remember. I thinking heater controls, but I don't see anything. The 84 has A/C, but the 82 didn't would that matter?

Does the ignition harness run directly under the turbo on the pass side?

Where does the ECM harness run on the motor? Under the turbo on the pass side around the back and up the DS valve cover to the smog pump?

Anything under the pass side of the turbo just seems like it would cook, but that's where it seems to want to lay.

Appreciate any help, pix might even be easier.
Thanx

The MAP under the dash is the BARO sensor (blue key). The MAP sensor (orange key) should be on the passenger inner fender.

The wiring goes OVER the turbo, between the compressor housing and carb (where it's not so hot).

Not so sure on the black connector.

PM me an a USPS postal address and I will mail you a copy of the engine bay wiring diagrams. They will help you a lot. :)

Rich,
Sent you a PM.

I'll have to re-route the ignition harness, I have it under the turbo on the pass side.

The ECM harness, I have snaked around the back of the T-Housing. Don't seem to be too many other options. The red & white plugs on the back of the turbo are a smidgent short, but should be ok.

My 82 didn't have A/C and I wanted to keep it in the 84. I was trying to use a pix of an 82 GN off the internet as a guide, as well as an 85 junker I have. Needless to say it will not work unless I get all 82 brackets.

With that, I need to use both of my 82 pulleys so the belts will line up, but the lower pulley won't fit the 84 balancer. My 82 balancer was sloppy on the keyway, so I threw it out 2 years ago. I mistakenly thought the 84 and 82 were the same. Anyone have a harmonic balancer that will fit my 82??

Did the 82 TRSC have the close ratio steeering box?? I kept it just in case.

I rerouted the Ignition harness and have the map sensors squared away.

I went to plug in the knock sensor and the connector for the 82 is different from the 84 sensor I had left in. Are the sensors the same from 82 and 84? Now that it's all together it could be a pain to remove. I'd like to splice the connector from the 84.

I still need a harmonic balancer for an 82 TRSC if anyone has one.

For the good news. I primed the oil system, plugged in the distributor and wholly crap it started right up. I didn't realize that big pipe going into the base of the carb got so hot. Had to rearrange some stuff afterwards.

Still got a lot of work to do:
Install the crossover pipe and everything after the cat.
Get the correct harmonic balancer installed and finish the front.
Top off all fliuds and set the timing.
Install a boost gauge.

I'm so close, but out of time. Hopefully in the near future I will have it road ready. I didn't do too bad, swapped out the rear, trans, exhaust manifolds, down pipe, ECM, ECM harness, turbo, intake, steering box and PS pump in five days. It was a lot more time than I anticipated. I put it together a minimum of three times. A little bigger learning curve than I had anticipated, but how else are you going to learn.

I want to do the dash next. I have the entire harness for that to, just haven't got the nerve yet. I'll do my homework on that one later.

The diagrams are in the mail. They are for a '83 Turbo Regal, but the only difference is that the ESC module is in the negine compartment instead of under the dash.

I've considered swapping the '78/82 sensor to the '83/87 sensor. I know they have different resistance valves, so I would assume would have to swap ESC modules as well.

Can you take a digital picture of the non-AC bracket. I might be willing to swap an '82 AC/smog/alternator bracket for it. :)

If I understand you right, I'll need to swap to the 82 type knock sensor. I'd just as soon use it to keep the harness original.

Would I be lucky enough to use the ESC sensor from the 84 and have it plug in and work correctly??

Rich,
I took some pix of the alt/smog braket. I'll email them.

I checked the turbo before I put the car together and it seemed fine. When the idle drops low I can hear a rumbling noise coming out of the turbo. I suspect the worse unless this is normal for these older models. I had it running and loosened the oil feed line to the turbo to verify oil is present, that was ok. Once it's at normal rpm it is pretty much gone. Any thoughts? I still have to install a boost gauge before I try it out.

Yes, keep the knock sensor and the ESC modules matched together.

Not sure on the rumbling noise. On mine, I can hear the exhaust inside the up-pipe at idle.

I went to the local pick-n-pull and was able to get what I believe to be the ESC module and the two associated jumper cables. That is what I was missing in a previous post that plugs into the ECM harness. I found it tucked deep in a pocket above the gas pedal. I will swap out the 84 knock sensor for the 82. That should put me 95% complete for the engine bay.

Iv'e been looking at swapping in the 82 dash. It appears it will plug right in except for the headlight switch and Check Engine Soon light. I have the jumper cable for the turbo light. The only thing I haven't been able to figure out is where to attach the Check Engine Soon leads. Hopefully the wiring diagram you've sent me will help. I've tried ohming out my 82 harnes, but several of the leads are tied together. I could cut it open if needed. I'd like to make a jumper to plug-n-play the headlight switch, so I don't have to repin the connector or even worse splice it. I am getting very close.

The noise I have in the turbo almost sounds like a rock tumbling around in the dryer in your house. Kind of odd, doesn't sound like an exhaust noise to me. I'll pull the downpipe off and check it again. Doesn't sound promising at this point.

Another update:
I replace the 84 knock sensor with the 82 and have the ESC installed. I cleared the codes and refired the engine, no more Check Engine Light. Thanks for the help, very much appreciated.

The odd noise I thought was in the turbo turned out to be check valve in the intake for the smog pump. I don't have the smog stuff installed and forgot to plug that off. I capped it this afternoon and re-run the engine, even on low idle there is no more noise.:D :D :D

I removed the AIR (smog) system from my car. I had that same rumble at the check valve. I finally put a 3/4" bolt in there. The check valce doesn't work so good. Even without the AIR pump, I was able to pass emissions. I use a new, more-modern converter that doesn't need the extra air to work.

I'm not having much luck on the AC brakcet. The bracket I have needs the smog pump in place (it's part of the "structure"). Have you tried the NA bracket without the AIR pump?

FYI, I don't know if you guys check the other board as well. Plenty of good discussion over there and more '82/83 TR owners.

I did, but the bracket hits the pass side exhaust manifold. For the interm, I am making due w/o the A/C and using all my stock 82 brackets. I have since removed the A/C compressor. Maybe someday I'll re-connect it if I get the brackets. No big deal for now. Thanx for looking though.

I have not tried the other boards, I'll post some questions over there as well, thanx.

Originally posted by BADAZZV6
My 82 didn't have A/C and I wanted to keep it in the 84. I was trying to use a pix of an 82 GN off the internet as a guide, as well as an 85 junker I have. Needless to say it will not work unless I get all 82 brackets.

You might be able to use an 84/85 Turbo V6 AC/Alt bracket (no AIR pump though). Take a look at this picture. You should be able to pick them up cheap.
417554_13_350.jpg

Cloning update:
I installed the 82 dash using the 84 wiring harness. I used little pigtales to jumper the 84 harness to the 82 headlite switch. This didn't work well at all:confused: I was thinking I had a bad ground or maybe missing a ground wire in the 84 harness. The gas gauge jumped 1/4 tank intervals each time the blinker blinked. The temp gauge kept pegging max. The left turn light was always on and the right was barly visible when the right blinker was turned on. The only idiot light that would illuminate was the SES light. I removed the dash rechecked the color codes and pinout of the connectors. I must have been on the crack pipe the day I put the dash in. The two connectors for the instrument panels ARE NOT THE SAME. The pin outs are not a match. I must have hurried and was boucing back and forth across the garage while checking color codes. At a quick glance they appear to be exactly the same, just rotate it 90 degrees. I am now finishing the harness swap. I just have a few adjustments to make and finsh securing it in place. The only evident thing I was missing was the orange and brown wires to plug into the back of the 84 stock radio. I borrowed this from the 84 harness and spliced it in.

There is a big purple wire coming out of the rear defrost harness, but the 84 does not have this feature. So I guess that switch will be just for looks.

The next thing I now have to do is pick up the harness for the engine compartment. These are also NOT INTERCHANGEABLE between 82 and 84. The pins at the firewall are different sizes. I plan to snatch one from a 82 at the junkyard if the guy ever shows up.

I might be interested in the enigne bay harness if anyone has one for a decent price. I think the NA 82 one will work, but I won't truly know until I actually put it in. This is such a pain since I also have an 85 NA parts car.

If it's not too much too ask, could someone snap a pix of there fusebox with all the leads plugged in?? I have one extra pink w/ blk stripe wire that I cannot figure out where it plugs into. It has a funky gray plug on the end and just doesn't match up with anything.

I think I met him this summer at a buick cookout. I responded to his post.

Thanks for keeping me in mind.

Maynard

Back