You can type here any text you want

Im doing 1 of the 2. What you think?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

V8killR4U

Ok here it goes this will be the last post for a while, so i'll make this as complete as i can and i wont bother you guys again. Well at least not again today. LOL Well my thing is this I want a 10 sec car (high/mid) and I want to get their the most economical way. I dont just want to purchase all these go fast parts and be going slower. I went to my local speed shop and this is what they recomended in addition to my combo to reach those goals.

Champion Iron heads
212-206 Cam
New Timing Chain
Lifters
Ported Intake
Modified T/B
Hemco Upper 65mm
Misc. gaskets, head bolts etc.

Total $3597 for all the parts and Labor.

With slics (60ft) and Good Gas, they believe this to be a 10 Sec combo with my current turbo.

Now this is where it gets complicated. The same Speed shop turned me onto a guy that was looking to get out of his GN or sell the Engine. They did all the work and said the guy had about 15K$ into the motor approximately.

I went and looked at the car and talked to the guy. He said he'd pull the motor for me and sell me the combo, Intercooler, Turbo, block, headers, DP, I mean everything, for $6000
He had the car built late last year and went 10.80's at 20lbs of boost with a 76 turbo. These are a few things the car has.
New 76 turbo
Huge Front mount I/C, Not sure what kind
GN Aluminum heads, ported
Roller Cam
Center caps
Girdle
ATR Alum, headers
50lb inj
T/H DP
Im not sure what else, but the shop that built the motor said it should be a low 10 sec car. I basically think its a TSM combo/motor.

Now I dont have $6000 to give the guy for his combo, but what i was thinking was taking his motor with headers, and turbo. I already have a nice I/C (Cas V-4) and TH DP. So I figure I could get away with out buying that stuff from. With out that stuff I can get this motor for about $4000.
My dilema is i dont know what i should do either have my shop hook up the parts and combo, or just buy this guys. I mean i know hes got the best of everything in the motor, so i figure why not just pick up on this deal and run with it.
Is there anything im not considering. I figure when its all said and done if i get this engine for 4000 then pay to have the motor dropped in and the bugs worked out im looking at $5000, plus ill have my extra motor which i would sell or maybe even swap with the guy and throw him some cash. Would you go through all the trouble to swap the engine or just build your own. Will this engine swap be a head ache working out the bugs or no not really. Is there anything i can deal with out with the combo my Shop is telling me ($3597), not that i feel they are adding items on, because I do trust them and have a good relationship with them, im just poor as hell. So what you guys think. Sorry the post is so long but im doing one of the two just wanted to get your guys non bias opinion, cuz i had my heart set on this guys 10 sec already motor, that has low 10 sec capability. Please any comments what so ever are appreciated.

Thanks, again

:confused: :rolleyes: :D

Either way you go, you do not have enough fuel pump or injectors. 009's or 50's are not the best choice if you are planning on consistent 10's. I also don't think your TE60 will be enough for 10's, at least not without pushing it really hard.

Also, I think a 76 is way overkill, especially with 50's. That is a bizarre combo IMO. You will run out of injector really quickly with that turbo.

Also, don't forget the SFI parts needed to run 10's. Rollbar, firejacket, belts, balancer and flexplate as well as a tranny blanket. Don't forget to factor that $$ into the equation as well.

I wouldn't try to run 10's on a tight budget. I leaves too much room for disaster.

You know i thought the same thing, why was he running 50's but he said he had no knock on the scanmaster. And yeah I wont be at the track all the time. I just want to know that i have a 10 sec car, when i want too. The 76 is big but it comes with the motor hes selling so? i mean would you pick that deal up and just chill with and add as you go. Cuz i know that motor for that price is a steal?
Originally posted by c&cgn
Either way you go, you do not have enough fuel pump or injectors. 009's or 50's are not the best choice if you are planning on consistent 10's. I also don't think your TE60 will be enough for 10's, at least not without pushing it really hard.

Also, I think a 76 is way overkill, especially with 50's. That is a bizarre combo IMO. You will run out of injector really quickly with that turbo.

Also, don't forget the SFI parts needed to run 10's. Rollbar, firejacket, belts, balancer and flexplate as well as a tranny blanket. Don't forget to factor that $$ into the equation as well.

I wouldn't try to run 10's on a tight budget. I leaves too much room for disaster.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ?

For almost the same amount of money I would swap anythime for the already built motor , with caps and girdle and t76 turbo, the only thing needed is 72's injectors and tuning. Nice day. Gilles.

76 turbo isn't tsm legal. You need some fuel too. No knock doesn't mean its safe, it just means it didn't detonate. Yet. I ran 50's up to 119% dc, going 120 in the 1/4. What shop are you dealing with? Hemcos are old technology, and you don't need a bigger tb. $6000 for what he has sounds like a good deal, if its done right.

Seriously, and don't take this the wrong way, because I'm just trying to help, but if $6000 is out of your price range, you may want to steer clear of trying to run so fast. I have over $6000 in just my long block minus intake, and then theres turbo, injectors, fuel pumps, etc., etc. It goes on forever.

I know you're looking for advice, so I'd say go buy what he has, sounds like a good deal. I'd bet you money you won't run 10's on what that shop is trying to sell you.

WEll im not competing in TSM, i just kinda threw that in their, trying to give you a feel for what was dont to the long block. But yeah i am ona budget and dont plan on racing hardcore, but i do like to have a fast car when the time arises. I just want a 10 sec capable car, even if it doesnt ever see the track but 3 times a year. I dont really want to put my shop out there cuzz i dont want people to say they suk or they're full of it you know, i want to keep that to minum , but i know they are good people. I mean i plan on just driving the car on the street and just playin around at the track , not really pushing the car you know. Sooo. But thanks for your input i just needed an un biases opinion. Its looking more and more like ill be buying the used motor, though.
Originally posted by turbosam6
76 turbo isn't tsm legal. You need some fuel too. No knock doesn't mean its safe, it just means it didn't detonate. Yet. I ran 50's up to 119% dc, going 120 in the 1/4. What shop are you dealing with? Hemcos are old technology, and you don't need a bigger tb. $6000 for what he has sounds like a good deal, if its done right.

Seriously, and don't take this the wrong way, because I'm just trying to help, but if $6000 is out of your price range, you may want to steer clear of trying to run so fast. I have over $6000 in just my long block minus intake, and then theres turbo, injectors, fuel pumps, etc., etc. It goes on forever.

I know you're looking for advice, so I'd say go buy what he has, sounds like a good deal. I'd bet you money you won't run 10's on what that shop is trying to sell you.

a lil more help guys!

looking for a few more opinions guys!
Throw me a bone !

I know 10's look great on paper but shouldn't you try to get some 11 second passes before you go hunting fo 10's? Looking at your sig it looks like you just upgraded the injectors and convertor so as long as you have some good tires and traction you should be into the 11's. Once you get it sorted out and have it maxxed out for what you have then it would be time to upgrade again. If you are dead set on it the ngo ahead and buy the entire engine and all the rest from the guy, install it and make 1 or 2 passes and go home because either you get kicked from the track or something broke like transmission or rearend. Making enough power to run int othe tens is one thing, getting the car to survive is another.

Back